Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, news leaked that Bioware and LucasArts' Star Wars RPG Knights of the Old Republic would be coming to the iPad, and as of today, the game is available for download from the App Store.

Originally released 10 years ago, KotOR is based on the Dungeons & Dragons d20 role-playing system, which has contributed to its popularity. In the game, players choose from three character classes, picking a Jedi subclass later in the game.

starwars1.jpg
Combat is round-based and characters can use Feats and Force powers to battle. Players can recruit two additional companions, who will participate in combat and unlock quest and dialog options in the game. KotOR features a light-and-dark alignment system that tracks both actions and dialog choices to determine the final outcome of the plot.

starwars2.jpg
IGN posted a review of the iPad game this morning, declaring the iPad's touch interface to be well designed, with the exception of movement, which requires guiding character movement with a finger on the screen.
The iPad's touch interface is largely an improvement over the original, save for a few reservations. First, the good: the pause-and-play combat works like a charm, letting you select your attacks and items quickly. It's pulled off beautifully.

Navigating the menus and sorting equipment is also made mostly better by the advent of touch controls, except for a few instances like the Powers menu in which the icons

If the new controls have one Achilles' Heel, though, it's in the movement. Running from place to place involves dragging and then holding a finger to guide your Jedi in the proper direction. This inevitably blocks a significant chunk of the screen with your hand, and worse yet, makes for awkward running in general.
Despite its minor control issues, IGN found the game to be a "must-play," rating it an 8.8 overall. Our sister site TouchArcade will also have a more extensive review of the gameplay available later today.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic can be downloaded from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic' Now Available for iPad

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I couldn't get into Baldur's Gate for iPad. I thought it would be a natural fit for the touch screen but I find the interface too difficult to use without a mouse.

It kind of scares me away from trying this.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Such a great game, and the turn-by-turn controls would naturally work well on an iPad.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
OMG, will install it as soon as possible. i'm the biggest fan of star wars, and will be adding this game to my collection ASAP.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm oddly excited about this but I have such a backlog of games to play, who knows when I'll find time.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Oh man, that's ****ing awesome. I'd rather buy the Mac version for the same price, but that's cool.

Yea I already own it for Mac but this is great news for people completely new to the franchise.

I'd be more excited and seriously consider picking this up if it had iCloud sync with the Mac version though.

----------

I'm oddly excited about this but I have such a backlog of games to play, who knows when I'll find time.

I know what you mean. I'd probably need a couple of extra lifetimes to accomplish that at this point. :eek:

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I'm totally buying this. Picked up the game for my Mac during Steam's Star Wars weekend sale (it was $3) and I absolutely love it. No problem paying for it a second time, it's quickly growing into one of my favorite games ever. It'll be interesting to see how the game handles with the touch controls. Here's hoping it runs okay on my iPad 2...

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
What do you mean by level 2? Have you contacted our technical support?

Ah no worries, I've finally levelled up. There was a problem with some tasks not incrementing experience towards the beginning of the game. This is with the scout class.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
I've always wanted to give this game a try, but never realized it had been released on the Mac. For those who've played on both platforms, which one should I get?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I've always wanted to give this game a try, but never realized it had been released on the Mac. For those who've played on both platforms, which one should I get?

Honestly, after many hours of gameplay I would say iPad. Once we reworked the UI to better fit the platform, menus and customization is just much easier to navigate on the iPad. After all, this is an old school RPG and character/party customization is the name of the game :D

Thanks for all the support everyone. We worked really, really hard to get this one right, and to even have the chance to do so was a huge honor. :apple:

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
installing this NOW!. never played it but always fancied it...cant wait. Thanks Devs, great surprise.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I couldn't get into Baldur's Gate for iPad. I thought it would be a natural fit for the touch screen but I find the interface too difficult to use without a mouse.

It kind of scares me away from trying this.

Oooooh, thansk for reminding me about Baldur's Gate. Slipped my mind somehow. Gonna give that a try.

As for ST:KOTOR, I've played it to the end on PC so I guess I'll let it pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.