Star Wars KoTOR -small review

Discussion in 'Games' started by thumper, Sep 28, 2004.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

ok, so i took a chance and bought it.

i didnt know how this game would run on my 1.33 17"powerbook and thought it would be a waste of money(like UT2k4 was) but let me tell you it looks awesome! and it runs smooth too.

so if you have a power book and are wondering about how it runs, now you know.

i have played it for about 30mins, and its really good. but i died and now have to do it all over again.... i hate that. the save thing is really stupid.
    if i have to put my powerbook down to do something i should be able to just save it on the fly.

ugh, i want to play it but dont want to do all that crap over again... kill me now

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

That wasn't really even a small review...Thanks, though...I guess.

3. Quobobo macrumors member

Er... yeah, agreed, that wasn't much of a review. You say it played smoothly, could you let us know what resolution that was at (and fps would be nice)?

4. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

??

How my RAM do you have, cos by my standards mine runs like a bitch. i wish it would run better. any tips on how i can make it run better?

5. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

i only have 512 ram,

i have been noticing some really laggy parts of the game as i get into it (cantena was very bad but hasent got any worse)

i think the only thing i might be doin different is running the game off a firewire drive that is faster then the drive in the powerbook.

might help, but i dunno...

how far are you in the game?

6. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

I suspect this game is really REALLY cpu intensive. I've finished it on a G4/867 (768MB ram) with Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB vram). The most astonishing thing I noticed was when I was in an area where the framerate was really low, I could go into settings, turn off all FSAA/ anisotropic filtering, grass effects, turn down resolution to 800x600 and it would be equally slow.

I played the game normally at 1280x960 @ 100Hz, all advanced graphics options maxed out and vsync on. It was well playable in most areas, but as soon as a space was crowded with many NPCs and other animated objects, the game would become terribly slow.

guess I'm in for a cpu upgrade, or maybe even the new PowerMac G5 single 1.8, if my Radeon 9800 fits...

-Dr. D.

7. a2daj macrumors member

It's both CPU and GPU intensive. It's CPU intensive in that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that aren't related to graphics.
    It's GPU intensive in that it makes very heavy use of Vertex and Pixel Shaders. So the ability to keep the GPU feed plays a big part in performance as well.

If you have a beefy machine and a slower video card, the CPU can help a bit. If you have a slow CPU and a beefy video card, the video card can help out a bit as long as it can be fed.

Aspyr should have put up recommended system specs. On the PC side, the minim CPU spec is 1 GHz, but the recommended system spec is 1.6 GHz. I'd say the same goes for the Mac version.

8. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Agreed!

*grabs the soldering iron and clock speed jumpers...*

9. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

I've just finished Tatoine, and that was the first planet that i went to. so i'm not that far

10. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

For those who didn't find it already, on http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/ there's an excellent walkthrough and various strategy guides on the in-game mini games and tough fights... check it out if you get stuck somewhere...

11. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

You have a 1.33 powerbook, and you don't find the Unreal Tournament 2004 runs well on it? on my 15 inch 1.25, playing at 1024x768, and all the settings on medium in runs pretty smoothly. i get on average between 23-37 fps.

as for KOTOR, i played that on xbox, for some it may be good, by i am not really a fan of the RPG's

aethier

12. dechetes macrumors newbie

I am having real trouble on my MDD 1.25Ghz single with 1024 RAM, Radeon 9000. Honestly, I would be surprised if the game was 0.5 fps in some places. This is with everything at lowest setting and grass/shadows off. It is actually ridiculous - my specs exceed every minimum standard and it has got to the point where I can't be bothered playing - as i walk forward and there is a long pause and suddenly i am jumped to the other side of the room and have been attacked from all sides. It's not so fun anymore - i am considering selling it on ebay and getting NWN instead :-(

13. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the Radeon 9000 is the bottleneck in your case... you may want to look out for a 2nd hand Radeon 9600/9700/9800. I bought mine 2nd hand for about €190,- and that was over 6 months ago.