'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Coming to iTunes on April 1

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disney today announced that the newest film in the popular Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will be available on iTunes, Disney Movies Anywhere, and other Digital HD sources on Friday, April 1, several days ahead of a planned April 5 Blu-ray and DVD release.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes place 30 years after Return of the Jedi, pitting new characters like scavenger Rey and former stormtrooper Finn against Kylo Ren and the First Order. Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher also reprise their roles as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia.

[​IMG]

Digital bonus features will vary by retailer, but may include behind-the-scenes interviews and details on the making of the film, the building of the BB-8 droid, deleted scenes, and more. Apple and Disney have not specified which features will be included with the iTunes version of the movie.
    Ahead of the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Apple debuted a Star Wars-themed Apple Music radio station, released a digital collection of all Star Wars movies, and promoted the Star Wars: The Force Awakens soundtrack.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is already available for pre-order from iTunes for $19.99 for HD and $14.99 for SD. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Coming to iTunes on April 1

2. citi macrumors 65816

citi

Wow, that was super fast for a movie as successful as this. Not complaining though. Day one purchase.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I'll still wait until April 5th and get the BD/DVD/iTunes HD retail combo package for the same price.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

April 1st for Digital - $20
    April 4th for Bluray/DVD/digital code - $20-25 (depending on seller and what's included as a special)

or maybe the 5th...i couldn't remember

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68030

jbachandouris

I want to buy the combo pack (BluRay/DVD/Digital Copy), but the packaging doesn't say if it's the iTunes copy.

Flixster needs to write an Apple TV app already!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2016 ---
    I believe it's the 5th.

6. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502

carrrrrlos

7. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

The code is for Disney Movies Anywhere, of which iTunes is a participating provider. It will also transfer to Vudu, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft if you link those accounts to Disney Movies Anywhere.

https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/

8. citi macrumors 65816

citi

"Director's Cut" :)

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68030

jbachandouris

Thanks for the info. Usually these combo packs don't tell you anything until they are released.

10. iVoid macrumors 65816

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68000

UHD BR please. Not double dipping, no matter how much my kids pester.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

They did miss the boat on capitalizing on a May 4th release.

Also - look for a future money grab since it's not being offered in 3D this time around. Now I know many will say so what - but lots of movies are being released in 3D/Blu-Ray/DVD bundles still. You'd think a top title like this would be too.

13. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

yeah...(sips a cup of coffee) after what I had to put up with Apple ... Yeah... (Sips a cup of coffee) ... I will get it from elsewhere.

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

haha, must be sarcasm or perhaps a bad day for some.

The Digital Version is very similarly priced to a version with other versions.
    The Digital Version isn't coming out a great deal in advance to really get people wanting/pushing for the Digitally file.

...breathe out and relax...

15. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

Nice. I believe...I may have already preordered it. Hrm...

16. StevenPG macrumors newbie

Does anyone remember when Disney took back movies like the Lion King? Why would I want to spend money for a movie on ITunes when there is a chance it could be taken back, because I do not "own" it. Even though I bought it.

17. Porco macrumors 68000

Porco

Bit more of a wait, but it'll be the Blu-ray for me.

18. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Sweet. I hope Apple releases the Kylo Ren extra-pouty/super-emo version with the deleted tantrum scenes!

19. jonnysods macrumors 68040

jonnysods

I'll take a bluray instead for the same price. Although I'm getting sick of discs!

20. rdlink Suspended

rdlink

Except that I have no desire for a BD or DVD. Just another piece of plastic taking up space in my house.

21. silentbob007 macrumors regular

If you buy the SD version, do you only get the SD version in Disney Movies Everywhere? I assume so, but the old, legacy titles I had in my iTunes account were upgraded to HD when DME came out so I thought I'd ask.

22. rdlink Suspended

rdlink

No, I don't remember that. I know that Disney puts movies in their vault, and keeps them there for years before breaking them back out to sell to another generation. But I've never heard of them taking a movie away that I bought.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2016 ---
    Not sure what exactly you're asking. I've never used Disney Movies Everywhere. I stream my movies. I don't buy DVDs or BD. In fact, I haven't even owned a DVD player for over 10 years. I rent almost all movies I watch, and the ones I buy I get through iTunes.

My post was in response to the person who was stating all of the reasons why it made sense to wait for the DVD/BD version. My response was basically saying I have no desire for physical media.

23. meegwell macrumors member

7.1 lossless sound that rocks the house...I'll wait for blu-ray.

24. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Yes, if you buy the SD version from any participating provider (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft), you will only get the SD version in Disney Movies Anywhere.

25. 2010mini macrumors 68030

What's with the exclusives varying by retail outlets? Does this affect the DMA version? will it have ALL the extra exclusives that are split up amongst the retail outlet versions?