Starbucks UK - Anti Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nomad01, Nov 21, 2006.

1. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Okay, this is not a major issue but it is annoying.

Starbucks in the UK have just introduced the Starbucks Card over here. I picked one up but when I tried to register it, I got this message:

Browser error

We're sorry, your browser doesn't support the Starbucks Card registration pages of this website.

Please update your browser to Internet Explorer version 5.0 or above, or Netscape Navigator version 6.0 or above.

Thank you.

Okay so what they're saying in effect is "Buy a PC" or at least you need to be using Windows anyway!

This is a new scheme so I thought I'd email and see if they had any plans to support Apple machines and here's what they say:

I am sorry for any disappointment, though at present, we have no immediate plans to provide access for Mac users and those on less popular internet browsers.

How crap is that? Have they never looked how many Apple laptops are in use in Starbucks?

If anyone wants to email them and request they start supporting Apple, you can email direct at: UKInfo@starbucks.com

Like I said, it's not a major story but it bugs me that a company of this size can ignore Apple owners.

Steve

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See, this is what really gets me angry. Build a non-standards compliant site and then tell people you can't use it. And it essentially happens because management teams are unaware of the importance of making sites compatible with all browsers and let the web-people essentially have their own way, avoiding testing on a number of platforms and browsers.

And of course, I lay the blame entirely on the 'embrace and extend' crowd.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

did you try using firefox?

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I prefer not going to starbux at all. Costa & Nero are much better..

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

incidentally, their actual website works with safari, and their registration pages work too.. altho post registration i'm not sure as I didn't create an account - is that where you got the error?

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

lol.. see post #3 above ;)

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

To be honest, whenever I go into a Starbucks, I actually do usually see PC laptops.

9. Queso macrumors G4

It seems as if the US Starbucks site allows access to Mac browsers. Just tried it on Camino. However, as I don't have a Starbucks card with me I can't go any further.

If that doesn't work, the simple solution is to bypass the UK operation and go straight to US Customer Relations and/or Marketing Dept. It may be an idea to point out that Starbucks in the UK is heavily concentrated around London, coincidentally exactly where most British Mac users live, so if they want to alienate a large proportion of their UK customer base, they're going the right way about it.

Keep it polite though. There was a similar campaign with the National Lottery website a couple of years back, and they recoded the site in the end.

10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Have you tried Safari Enhancer? - you might get away with simply having Safari identify itself as Explorer - I've had success in the past.

11. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Enable the debug menu in Safari.

Terminal command: % defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Debug > User Agent > Windows MSIE 6.0

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Funny thing is whenever I go into a starbucks (or any coffee shop) here in portland, it is mostly mac portables you see. I'd say maybe 8:1 macs overs pc's. Don't know if that's the case in other places. Maybe it's the liberal attitude here.

Language Warning

13. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Here in New York, mac and Starbucks go hand in hand.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't go to starbucks much, but when I do go by I usually see some mac notbooks, I haven't seen any mac portables though.;)

15. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yeah, tell me about it! I couldn't believe it when I walked into the Starbucks in Astor Place... more powerbooks than an Apple Store!

Starbucks over here DO seem to attract Macs too though. Certainly in Birmingham but when I'm in London there's usually one or two about.

I originally tried Firefox, Opera and Safari. None would work with the UK Starbucks Card registration. Safari seems to work after enabling the debug options... that's almost more frustrating though! It works but they're just not allowing you the chance to even try!

I use Starbucks because I have to walk right past it in a morning. I wouldn't use Costa if you paid me. Not had a decent coffee in there for far too long.

Cafe Nero and Coffee Republic use better beans but it's still hit and miss whether you get someone competent making the drink. My local Starbucks is usually reliable.

16. imacintel macrumors 68000

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK I sent them an email that goes like this:

18. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Excellent.

I'm sure they'd reconsider if enough people complained.

Thanks
    Steve

19. bartelby macrumors Core

20. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well, so is the coffee at most chains to be fair but that's not really the issue.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well here is the reply

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's the 'less popular' thing that really sticks in my throat. How about universal access? There's an EU human rights case here for anyone who wants to pursue it. ;)

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I went in a UK starbucks for the first time the other day and was pleased to see no less than 5 MBPs in operation. Not a single PC to be seen - probably too embarrassed to get them out with all the Macs about.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

how very worthless of them. i'd be more angry if i gave two cheers about their overpriced coffee. :p

25. bartelby macrumors Core

That's how I think too!