Starbucks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Aug 16, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

What do you guys think about Starbucks coffee? I like it every now and then. I also think it has become kind of a status symbol; a yuppie icon, if you will. I come from the North Shore area and up here, most people like Dunkin' Donuts. I'm not crazy about them, I prefer Starbucks. What's your opinion on the quality of Starbucks coffee? Is it a status symbol?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'd rather make my own, Starbucks is expensive meh. If I'm too lazy to do that, I'll go to Mary Lou's because it's within walking distance.

(There are quite a few North Shores in the world; I'm assuming Massachusetts because of the Dunkin' Donuts...?)

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Starbucks coffee is excellent. Very few quakers in their coffee means much better flavor, and justifies the higher cost. Their roasting techniques are solid, and they store and brew coffee correctly.

Now, does that mean I'm a huge Starbucks proponent? No. I have my favorite local places that I frequent that all have premium coffee as good as Starbucks as well. But I can recognize good coffee when I see it.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I can't make it more than two minutes in line at Starbucks before I want to strangle someone for ordering a cup of coffee with a description more than 30 words long.

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've never liked it myself, it seems they tend to over-roast their beans and cater too much to those who don't really like coffee. One shot in a 14oz latté?

As a coffee shop owner myself, I might be biased. ;) However even a friend of mine who is the biggest coffee snob I have ever met hates Starbucks.

I'll admit I have only ever had their espresso and never tried the brew.

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I don't drink Starbucks that often, though when I do I don't normally order coffee based drinks. Instead I find myself ordering Chai Lattes or Hot Chocolates.

Guess I fall into that category.

- - -
    Status symbol, no.
    A sign that Doctor Evil is slowly taking over the world, yes.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Blech. Can't stand it. But then again I'm not a huge coffee fan. :eek:

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Ding ding ding ding. "I'll have a strawberry frappucino with whipped cream and a cherry on top." :rolleyes:

And their coffee is always hotter than the surface of the sun, which is totally unecessary. If I get a coffee, I try and do local small shops.

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Charbucks, need I say more?

The coffee taste like crap, I'll have a cup now and then when I'm stuck at meetings in starbucks. But over all I'd never choose to have a cup of their burnt to crap coffee.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    IT's alright, but my folgers with sugar costs me about 2 bucks a month, as opposed to 4 bucks a DAY.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Coffee (as opposed to espresso drinks) does not cost $4 at Starbucks.

12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I hate people who go there to seem "grown up". some of my friends (girls) will go to starbucks about 4/5 days afterschool. I know they don't like coffe, they just buy it because older people do, and they think it's cool and there grown up.

I for one DO like there coffee, but only once in a while. Tim Hortans PWNS anything out there.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Make my own latte at home from illy beans - or freshly roasted/ground from Borough Market.

Go to Starbucks most work mornings though since the local 'coffee' shop closed :( Grande triple skinny latte is my order which most of the baristas know and make up automatically :) The filter coffee in the office is foul and undrinkable hence the requirement for SB.

The worst coffee in the high street (in the UK) is Coffee Republic. I used to walk past one to go to Starbucks since Coffee Republic's tasted of burnt rubber. Also not a real fan of Costa Coffee - it seems to taste slightly burned yet bland too.

14. Queso macrumors G4

There are four Starbucks between home and the office and I walk every morning. My monthly coffee bill is probably enormous if I were to ever calculate it.

Fitzroy Patisserie do the best coffee in my area, but since I switched to soya milk they're off the list sadly :(

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I agree Tim Horton's coffee is like crack cocaine. But my favorite coffee shop in the world had it's rent doubled, it went out of business and Tim Horton's moved in. So I've vowed to never drink another cup of their coffee again as they've personally wronged me of a cool hang out.

16. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I drink coffee so I can stay awake during the day. Starbucks coffee puts me to sleep, and besides, it's syrup coffee. To me that means they go for more flavor than caffine.

Steve

17. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I'm mostly a tea drinker myself.

Sure, I'll down some Starbucks on occasion, but for the most part I haven't a clue what I am ordering...

18. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Startbucks is way to expensive. Tim Horton's may not hve all the things Strbucks does but it is good coffee.

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hull got its first Starbucks about six months ago. I've not been in there yet – £2.50 for a cup of coffee! :eek: ;)

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cup of coffee, or an espresso drink?

21. Queso macrumors G4

£2.60 for a grande soya latté, but then they had 35p just for the soya milk :mad: It would be £2.25 otherwise.

There are cheaper coffees in there though.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The drink in question was a white chocolate Mocha, I'm reliably informed. Apparently, it didn't come with a little biscuit either. And – to add insult to injury – Miss Jaffa Cake was unable to nick the mug. :(

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For those lucky enough to live in California, Peets is the way to go. Fabulous.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope. Not for me. Burn the coffee and a bunch of the drinks are more milk and sugar than coffee.

I'll stick to my Peet's.

:edit: dangit, beaten by one minute by gauchogolfer! By the way, Peet's is in more than just CA, although it did start in Berkeley, CA. :D

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have to agree with you, Starbucks burns their beans. There's better local places nearby the university, so I tend to go there.

Seattle's Best Coffee is actually pretty good, but I only get that at Borders.