StarCraft 2 System Requirements

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by haiggy, May 19, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

haiggy

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering... what do you think the system requirements for this game will be? I'm thinking of getting the next revision of the MacBook Pro... do you think I'll be able to run the game with full settings and not experience any slow downs? Run it above 60 fps?

I know it's all speculation and nobody really knows, but I don't want to be disappointed with the gameplay. It looks too awesome.

Do you think it would run well on ANY of Apple's current offerings?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

NickElls

Seeing as WarCraft III runs well on my 1.83 GHz iMac, StarCraft II will probably run well on a new Macbook Pro, which would probably be about the same specifications if not higher.

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's apparently been in development for around 4 years, so I wouldn't expect the hardware requirements to be too steep. You'll need to wait and see to be sure, but I'd be amazed if it fails to run on any Intel system (not counting the GMA-based machines).

4. macrumors 6502

statikcat

Graphics on full? Doubtfull.. probably 70-80% though. 3/4.. should still look great. I havnt beed able to play one game on my MBP Core Duo 2 with 2gb of ram on full yet. At least a recent game that isnt like the Simms or some crap.

5. macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Of course you cant play any recent games on full with your MBP the X1600 is a low end graphics card.

6. macrumors 6502

statikcat

Didnt realize poster said "next" revision to MBP. Guess that depends on what the upgrade is :).

7. macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I've heard that number floating around (5 years dev) can anyone post a solid source on that info?? Since Blizz doesn't have any system requirements posted or a release date or anything really, I just assumed it's got years to go before we see it... If it'd been in development for 5 years then you'd think they could ballpark some of this info for us?

8. macrumors regular

Tho this seems to make sense, it's not always like that. Many games usually are in development for more than 2-3 years and even then require the latest hardware.

IIRC, some developers.. develop their games using hardware specifications for future video cards and latest technology. For example, the new crysis game. I think it's been in development for more than 2+ years and they are going to require some of the best hardware to run it.

Said that, blizzard always tries to have a really wide range of hardware that can play their games. their latest (WoW) can be played in some very old hardware :)

9. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Blizzard uses a well thought out process to try to get as many gamers to play their games as possible. Like the poster above said- You can play WoW on a wide range of computers, and I remember I played Diablo 2 on what was then a slow computer when it came out. It's just how they do things.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

haiggy

Well the thing is, I'm a hardcore WC3 player and I got my iBook 3-4 years ago. So around the time it game out / a little after it came out. And yet, I get pretty crappy frame rates. I can get a max of 34 and it will go to 0.3 in some cases. Seeing as the hardware was out AFTER the game was released, I was kind of disappointed. Now I can't wait to get my MacBook Pro and own it up... I'm expecting a 25% increase in my skill based on my technical limitations I have now. I don't want this to be the case with StarCraft 2, where I'm getting the computer BEFORE its released and not getting ultimate results. Kind of see my point?

11. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

It just too early to know really.The time to ask is when it goes to beta.

12. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The only thing they have said is that it requires Pixel Shader 2.0.

So, you need a 9500-series or better ATi card, or a GeForce FX or higher.

Since the Macbook Pros have the X1600, they're great for it.

I'm willing to bet its running on a very very tweaked and rebuilt Warcraft III engine, with new graphical goodies and abilities.

13. macrumors 68020

on the faq they say it has a very scalable engine that could run on an variety of systems.

14. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah, I mean Pixel Shader 2.0 has been out since 2002/2003 graphics chips.

I know the GMA 950, and all current ATi and nVidia offerings have Pixel Shader 2.0.

Err, if you dont have 2.0, you might want to just buy a new computer. Or a new video card. Even like a GeForce FX5200 will play this game.

15. macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I know that Blizzard creates games that are not demanding in terms of hardware, but guys, do you believe the iMac in my Specs will play this game at an acceptable speed?

16. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Did this remind anyone else of old RAM modules, or am I just that much of a geek?

17. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Yes and I miss my old Quadra :(

18. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

30-pin or 72-pin? ;)

19. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I do have to admitt Blizzard does a very good job in releasing products that are very well supported over a variety of different operating systems and hardware.

I can't see how SC2 will be any different, and I am glad that it wasn't a Universe of Starcraft game....

I think the game will need 1GB RAM, 20GB on the HDD and most probable 64MB to 128MB video card minimum to run.

Now to wait another 5 years for the release.......

;)

20. macrumors 68020

bobber205

5 years?!

That quick?! :eek:

Kidding aside, I think everyone will be surprised how quickly it arrives.

21. macrumors 68020

Everybody is flipping out about system requirements that don't exist yet... :confused:

It might be more appropriate to ask if there was a release date.

22. macrumors 6502

statikcat

If they have been working on it for 5 years then they didnt have a full staff on it the whole time.. no way. Seriously this isn't an entirely new game.. just new graphics and mod'd and new units. And new compaigns. I cant believe it would take a full staff 5 years unless the game was at least near ground up. I bet it was hardly worked on the 1-2 years TBC was being worked on :)

23. macrumors 65816

topgunn

They make comments in the FAQ about the possibility of having DX10 only graphics effects. If this is true, the answer is "NO". You will not be able to run SC2 on any current Mac (or the next revision either) with EVERYTHING maxed out with or without Boot Camp.

About the release date, I think late 2008 is a reasonable estimate. I doubt highly that it will be out in 2007 or even early 2008 due to the lack of hard info they have been able to provide.

24. macrumors 65816

Chone

Anyone who has played Warcraft III can tell from a hundred feet away that Starcraft is using the same engine.

Judging by the screenshots and graphics, I think a computer that can handle C&C3 decently will be able to handle Starcraft 2 beatifully.

And yes, the MBP does handle C&C3 decently.

25. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'm just hoping my iBook can handle it. I'll play through the single player campaign on my PC (it has a GeForce 7900GS), but I'm hoping to be able to play on-the-go as well. This game could be what it finally takes to replace the World of Warcraft addiction that has run rampant amongst my group of friends for years.