Starcraft /Brood wars buy or dl

Discussion in 'Games' started by baboo2, Sep 13, 2005.

1. baboo2 macrumors member

Hi i have the offical copies of Starcraft and Brood Wars but they are both for PC only. The battlechest i saw for sale sadly is for PC only too. Therefore is anyone selling it ( i can pay via paypal )or know where to download a MAC version of it(cough bt). I would gladly appericate it, I think it would be okay if i downloaded the game since its over 6 years old + i own the full version...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Downloading the game is a bit of a legal grey area. As you said, you own a licence for it, but I'm not sure what the laws are in this case. However, I believe that Blizzard will exchange your Windows CDs for hybrid ones, for the price of postage.

3. mflender macrumors member

Have you tried your "PC only" discs in your mac? Only the very early discs were PC only. Once the mac version was released all discs were cross platform. Obviously you will need the OS X update from Blizzard to play on OS X as the game was originally for Classic.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not gray; despite the fact that you own the license, that license is for that specific copy with it's specific serial code. Unless the game has become public domain, it's still illegal.

It's a moral gray area because most people agree that it's a stupid law. But legally, it's black and white illegal.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't realise that. It sounds like a pretty quirky law though, surely it's not universal.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But in this case, he'd still be using the same serial number that he has a licence for.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Wait, so its ok for me to download the Sims 2 if I own the PC copy? Granted I only play one or the other at any given time? I bout it for my PC before I got my PB (I didn't know I was going to be available for mac)... But rarely play it AT ALL, since I'm always on my PB? I'd still only be using my one licence right?

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Regardless if you've owned it or not, downloading a copy is still illegal I believe. Regardless of whether it is or isn't though, why not just buy a copy? The games are definitely worth it, and you can pick up the Mac Battlechest for probably about $20 nowadays! If I find value in something I have no problems paying for it, so that would be my advice to you. :cool:

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Its not that I've owned it before, Its that I STILL OWN IT, and its hard for me to justify re-buying the exact same thing all over again, especially when I still have the hard copy sitting on my PC's desk somewhere... I totally agree that people should buy something when they se value in things. I did buy it, just the wrong version... :(

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I completely understand where you're coming from - I was in the exact same boat. I had purchased SC and BW (full price) for my PC, before I switched to Mac. But, I love the game so much, I bought it again for Mac - for me it was totally worth it. But that's just me - I also have no problems paying full price, twice, for movies that I absolutely love as well - it's all how much value you put in it - but only you can decide what is right for you. :cool:

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, the Windows and Mac versions are from different companies, so by downloading the Mac version, you're ripping off Aspyr.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Precisely - not cool at all. :cool:

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

DAMN! Alright. I won't. I don't wanna hurt the few mac game developers. We need all the support possible. Hopefully the mactels will help...

*sigh*