StarCraft Digital Download -- Doesn't Work?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MBHockey, Jun 1, 2008.

1. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So I purchased the StarCraft + BroodWar digital download from Blizzard's site today. The download was around 1.2 GB and went without a hitch (took over an hour though). I ran the installer, put in the long cd key they emailed me after I made the purchase and then when i went to launch StarCraft it just didn't work. Bounced in the dock once, and then vanished.

Console had this to say in the system.log:

Code:
    Jun  1 16:27:22 MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x13013].com.blizzard.Installer[170]: Archive "\Applications\StarCraft.temp\Starcraft Data.temp" has an incomplete listfile!
    Jun  1 16:28:05 MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x13013].com.blizzard.Installer[170]: Archive "\Applications\StarCraft.temp\Brood War Data.temp" has an incomplete listfile!
    Jun  1 16:28:06 MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x13013].com.blizzard.Installer[170]: Archive "\Applications\StarCraft.temp\Starcraft Data.temp" has an incomplete listfile!
    I know StarCraft has some issues on the newer MBPs, but mine has been running SC off the disc fine for the past two months (I have a 2.2GHz SR MBP). I recently gave my physical disc away to a friend, knowing i would be getting the digital download.

So after it didn't work, I removed all Blizzard/StarCraft files from my computer and then booted to the Leopard install disc where I repaired my permissions and also repaired the disk. I then redownloaded the entire 1.2GB and reinstalled SC...but same deal. Doesn't launch with the same message in system.log

Has anyone purchased the digital download of this and actually gotten it to work?

I've sent an email to Blizzard support (who have been quite helpful in the past with some issues) so I'll update the thread if nobody has any insight on this.

2. macrumors regular

Me too

I experience the same issue, haven't heard back from their support for a while.

3. macrumors 6502

I forwarded the details onto the product delivery team to investigate the issue.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What Mac are you trying to run the digital download on?

Thank you -- much appreciated.

5. CJM
    macrumors 65816

CJM

SC hasn't required a disc to run for quite a while now, so I don't know why you were doing that ;)

Also, 1.2GB seems massive for such an old game, I'm quite surprised.

I hope it gets resolved!

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Not sure why I was doing what?

Yes, you could make a disk image of the disk (which I always ran the game from), but you still need a valid cd key.

I'm not sure why you're surprised about 1.2 GB. Each disk (starcraft and broodwar) is around 600 MB each.

7. macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Umm you don't need a CD to play starcraft anymore... see below.( this is why the Digital DL is around 1 gig.)

Blizzard has released a 1.15.2 patch for StarCraft, enabling users to play the game without the use of the CD.

The patch was released earlier last night but was only available on US East servers. It is now available on all servers throughout Battle.net.

Here are the installer details, and additional StarCraft Broodwar Patch Information.

Battle.net

Feature Changes

- StarCraft and StarCraft: BroodWar no longer require the CD while playing the

game. To play without the CD, please follow the following instructions:

- Windows Users:

- Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked under

Explorer Folder Options.

- If you own only StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD to

your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".

- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft:

Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq".

- Mac users:

- If you own only StarCraft, copy "StarCraft Archive" from the StarCraft CD

to your StarCraft folder.

- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "Brood War Archive" from the

StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why are you guys obsessing about the physical disc? It really is quite irrelevant to the situation at hand.

The only reason I brought it up was to explain why I would have purchased the digital download in the first place...I no longer own the CD key. If i could have just purchased the CD key from Blizzard I would have -- but the cd key for the digital download is twice as long as a normal cd key -- you can't install from the physical disc and use the cd key from the digital download.

9. macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Let me guess. you are running Leopard 10.5.3 correct?

10. macrumors 6502

How about one for starcraft + one for brood war????

P.S. Blizzard is possibly the best computer game company to ever exist.
    They stuck by Macs from the start and all their games rock. All Warcrafts including WoW, Diablo II+LoD (I sucked compared to II), and Starcraft+Brood War.
    Starcraft II will be amazing too.....
    yeah.....

11. macrumors 68030

apfhex

12. macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

13. macrumors newbie

Reply from Blizzard tech support:

Kind of annoyed me how impersonal the reply was. Clearly pasted from an announcement or something. At least Apple and Blizzard are aware of the issue. A solution can't come soon enough.

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It breaks the digital download only, then, because StarCraft had been running fine with the normal installation on 10.5.3 on my Santa Rosa/Merom MBP.

Oh well, back to boot camping into Windows and playing on the iccup ladder.

15. macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

No, you are wrong. I use the regular starcraft with disc (although i have updated it so i dont need to insert the disc), and 10.5.3 breaks that as well

16. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I thought it was working on 10.5.3 but I'm probably just confusing my iccup games with battle.net. It would make sense if it's broken for everybody it's broken for me too ;)

Come on Apple, stop breaking stuff!

Have you guys submitted feedback through Apple's site? I guess that's pretty much our only course of action right?

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

For what it's worth I still haven't heard back from Blizzard on this issue (i'm not expecting a different answer, i just figured they'd reply by now).

18. macrumors 6502

Can I get clarification that this is happening whether you have 10.5.3 installed or not ?

Please use my email below.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Still haven't heard back. I guess the next step is to contact Blizzard to request a refund. :(

20. macrumors member

So you're running the newest version of leopard on a MBP? Hmm.. I actually would love to get this game again and that's a great price. However I'm running the newest version of OSX as well and have a MBP. Do you think it would not work for me as well?

21. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It doesn't work for anyone else...I doubt it'd work for you :p

22. macrumors member

Oh my mistake, I thought it was just you that was having difficulties. Damn.

23. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Any chance of downgrading to 10.5.2?

24. thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't plan on it.

I haven't been able to get an answer about a refund (or my original inquiry for that matter). What the hell happened to Blizzard? I feel like i'm dealing with some shady eBay seller, not such an established game maker. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors regular

2.4ghz mac leopard 10.5.3 running starcraft off the cd and on battle perfectly... been playing all day