Starcraft full screen mode on intel mac mini & 23" display problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cabbage, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Cabbage macrumors newbie

I'm running Starcraft on an Intel Mac Mini (core duo) and a 23" Apple Cinema display.

Problem is in full screen mode the screen resolution doesn't chop down so I end up playing on a tiny 640x480 area in the middle of the screen which is set at 1920 x 1200 native pixel resolution. It's almost impossible to see what is happening!

Any solutions anyone??? Thanks in advance

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I thought 23 incher supports 640x480... :rolleyes:

But if it doesnt, choose the lowest resolution possible from OSX, then start Starcraft :)

3. Cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the odd thing. The monitor does support 640x480.

But even if you switch it manually to 640x480 first, Starcraft automatically reswitches to full 1920x1200 when you go into Full Screen Mode and playing the game in a tiny size. As soon as you quit OR go back to windowed mode it switches back to whatever original monitor setting you chose before.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats really odd.

So I guess, you should play in windowed mode :confused:

5. Ranma13 macrumors newbie

Sounds like a scaling issue. You want to make sure that the monitor scaling is set to aspect ratio scaling and not full screen scaling.

6. Cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. How do you check for aspect scaling vs full screen scaling???

Playing in windowed mode isn't really a viable solution either. You can't actually play in a window if your monitor is set to 640x480 because the Mac OS menus etc mean the window is bumped downwards so you chop off the lower part of the window.

You can set the monitor to 800x600 but the prob here is the starcraft640-480 window sits inside the monitor edges. Normally to move around the game in full screen mode you place your mouse cursor at the edge of the screen and the terrain scrolls up/down/left/right as desired. But when in window'd mode your mouse keeps going past the window until it hits the border of the 800x600 screen, this makes the game very unplayable, not to mention when you move the mouse downwards the dock keeps unhiding itself. Being a fast action game (and a very cool game!) it's impossible to try keep you mouse inside the window only and not skip out.

Is anyone else having this problem with the intel mac mini/starcraft combo?

7. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

It's due to your video settings in the "BIOS" level. Dealing with a LCD is different than a CRT, and as such, the video card has two options when displaying non-native resolutions. Either scale them up using a hardware algorithm, or display them in the center of the screen. Typically in a windows machine with an integrated video card (laptops, etc) you can change this behaviour to your liking in the bios or with an utility. On the MAC with an integrated video card, you just have whatever Apple decided you should have in terms of these settings. UNLESS you find a hack or utility for it that enables it in the OS, but then, it is reset everytime you reboot.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

So it all goes down to integrated graphics lol :D

Surprise?

9. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

When you start up StarCraft, you get an Options window. Make sure "Don't Switch Resolutions" is unchecked to get the game to scale. It works for me on my 20" Display.

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yea, you need to look at the settings in that options window. You may have told the window not to appear, in which case I believe that all you need to do is hold the option key while starting up Starcraft.

11. Cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I've tried checking and unchecking that box in the start up option of starcraft but it doesn't make a difference.

I wonder if it is the integrated graphics chip.

Voyagerg - were you using an intel mac mini with your 20" display?

12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

No, PowerMac. Would be strange if it was the intel-ness. Sorry that didn't help.

13. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

You should try to find a Intel integrated graphics driver control panel (something for the 900 series). My ATI control panel in windows allows me to choose between stretch or native, and it is like that for just about every other card. I'm sure you'll find a tweaker or control utility somewhere.

14. Cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

The funny thing is. World of Warcraft works fine in Full Screen Mode - mind you I'm using a universal version so I wonder if that's the reason. Programs under rosetta can't switch the resolution???

Any thoughts anyone.

15. Cabbage thread starter macrumors newbie

Is anyone using a MacBook Pro or Intel iMac to play starcraft - is full screen working?