Starcraft: Ghost for this gen or next gen consoles?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, May 19, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

What do you think? On the official page, they say it'll be out Spring 2006 at earliest, making me wonder if it might not show up on current generation consoles... :eek:

2. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

if you look at the faq at starcraft ghost's homepage you would see its this generation

3. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

I know, I've looked at them. I'm just thinking they might change their minds if the game is released after all three of the new consoles are released.

4. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

According to the mini-catalogue that comes with WoW, it's for the next-gen consoles. Poor.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

6. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Then it's official, they've just forgotten to update their FAQ..?
    I find this very cool, since I don't have a GameCube, but plan on getting a Revolution. This will ensure better graphics.
    (it will also ensure longer development time, but..)

7. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

According to the people we talked to at the expo, it's for this generation consoles. It was designed around the xbox, and is "possibly" being ported to the other two. They had playable alpha demos on all consoles.

8. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Hmm.. strange.. Their website sais it is made for all three, and there is videos of it on nintendo.com .. strange indeed.. :eek:

I truly hope they'll make a nintendo-version of it. If not, I won't be playing it. :eek:

9. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I guess I should clarify what I was getting at here...
    They are "planning" on releasing it for all 3 systems, and they are hoping they can. they are still in Pre-Alpha stages with the demo, and they have a long way to go. They had it playable on all 3 consoles at E3.

I have something along those lines in my coverage post...sorry to confuse anyone.

10. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

That's what I'm talking about. Ignore SC Ghost.

11. efoto macrumors 68030

If we are waiting until Sp'06 at the earliest for Ghost, how long will we have to wait for SC2!? :confused: Its going to be ages....has it even been started/talked about/pre-developed/story-boarded/etc???

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm hoping for 2007, although I realize that's probably wishful thinking. ;) Maybe Blizzard is secretly working on it already and not telling anyone. Hmm, wait this is Blizzard... ;)

13. efoto macrumors 68030

Its probably so discret that there is a small sect of game programmers who started it as an after-hours/at home project, without even 'The Blizzard' (the being that is) knowing about it. Problem is, they have to fit it in to their massive addiction to WoW and playing all the other awesome games they produce :p :D

14. manicdvln macrumors member

Spring 2006? WTF, is blizzard competing with Duke Nukem forever? Who can delay their FPS game the most!!!

15. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Yup. From their FAQ:
    Wasn't it supposed to be out in 2003 or something?

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep. Seems like Blizzard beat their Diablo II delays with this release... ;)

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Now that would be cool, however unlikely I'm afraid. ;) Who knows when SC2 would be made, but hopefully it's before Diablo III - just a personal preference. WarCraft is good for a while now, with WCIII and WoW, so hopefully Blizzard isn't considering Ghost to be the next true StarCraft, and then feel as though they don't have to do anything else SC-relatedf for another 5 years... :rolleyes:

18. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

You know what? I have a feeling they don't see it as the next true StarCraft, but I don't think they'll release another StarCraft-related thing before 5 years, so 2010 earliest? Maybe 2015? (1997-2006=9yrs, 2006-2015=9yrs)

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yikes, that seems like a long time away! :eek: Hopefully this is not the case - I'd like to play StarCraft 2 before the 2010's... ;)

20. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

StarCraft Ghost Mulitplayer Gameplay video up at the blog ;)

sorry for mulit-post accross the two threads :(

21. efoto macrumors 68030

Was/is Warcraft as popular as Starcraft was/is? Personally I much prefer SC to WC anyday. WCIII is cool, but SC has that classic appeal. The graphics are much nicer in WCIII but that is to be expected with a much newer game.
    WoW, well what can I say. I have only played for perhaps an hour or two max, single sitting. I refuse to purchase an account for fear I will fall into a deep and inexcapable trance to online gameplay, not get my school-work done, not do my job at work (if I would even go to work), etc etc. The game was fun for the time I played it, but it wasn't THAT hard to set down either.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I feel the same way - StarCraft, in my mind, is far superior and I enjoy it much more. Then again, I'm biased. :cool:

23. efoto macrumors 68030

Sure you're biased, so am I. If I prefer one thing over another, its hard not to be biased about it. My thought was simply if there are more biased people in favor of SC vs. WC, they should be working on WoS or SC2 instead of producing more and more WC games. SC only had the initial game, WC had 3!!!, and now WoW, basically 4!

Can someone find sales numbers somewhere (always wondered where these turn up) that show WC vs. SC sales in the initial versions, something that would sort of show the motive for Blizzard to go the WC route over the SC route. Personally I think it was a poor choice, but that is simply because I love SC so much :D

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, I completely agree with you, I'd love to see the sales figures as well. I'm not knocking WC, but as you said, WC has essentially had 4 games (granted it started before SC was even around, so fair enough), but SC has only had one! And I don't think counting Ghost as "2" is fair, I'd much rather see SC2.

The only reason I would lean against working on a WoS first is because I would rather have a nice, new, updated, shiny game (i.e. SC2) out so that WoS would be based on that. Although a WoS would be cool right now, it would obviously be based on SC, and they could probably do a lot more with it if they based it on something more recent.

Anyway, all I'll say is Blizzard, bring us SC2 sooner rather than later!

25. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

There was big story about blizzard hiring some RTS guy from Command and Conquer and something else. I have a feeling early development is starting on SC two.