Starcraft: How do I kill off Protoss Arbiters?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, May 5, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

These units are a pain in the ass, always freezing a lot of my units so that I cannot use them. With Zerg it is easy to finish them off, using Scourge. How do I easily finish them off with the other two razes? These units are often responsible for half of my people getting killed.. :(

..three levels left of the protoss campaign. Then it is time for Brood Wars extension. I don't get much time to play games, but hopefully I'll be done before StarCraft: Ghost comes out, so that I can get a cheap GameCube and continue the saga.. :D

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

It has been a while, so I may be rusty, but I remember that terrans, with their fully upgraded goliaths, did 20+12 = 32 damage per hit to air units. They are basically walking missile turrets so a couple of those would wipe out an arbiter fast. The only problem is that they can't detect invisibility, but if you hotkey your sensors as 0, you'll have quick access. Ghosts, with the lockdown ability, can do the same things right back to the the arbiters, with the difference being that you can still kick their butts while they're frozen.

With other protoss, lotsa dragoons and scouts would do the trick. The elegant way to handle them, along with practically everything else, is to use the psi storm spell from high templars. land a couple of them on right, and not only will the arbiter blow up, but their cloaked fleet as well. Also don't forget that Archons can hit air units too (although if they get hit by an emp blast, they're toast).

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, this takes me back to the good old days! Finding the Arbiters to be a pain in the ass? Do you know how many people I made feel that exact same way on Battle.net countless times over and over? ;) One of my favorite tactics was to have about 4 Arbiters defending, 4 attacking - if a huge force attacked me, I'd just perpetually freeze them - if a huge defense force was sitting in an enemy base, same thing - perpetually freeze them - and then recall a fleet of carriers/corsairs/archons into the heart of their base - annoying AND effective! Yes, the Toss were my race of choice... :cool:

Best ways to counter them?

Zerg: mass hydra, muta or dev; def plague; scourge; queen (slow it down, remove cloak)
    Terran: goliaths (portable missile turrets); stimped M&M; cloaked wraiths; sci EMP; ghost lockdown
    Protoss: HT psi storm (excellent defense force!); mass goons; carriers; mass corsairs; dark archon feedback/mind control; arbiters ;)

In general though, if you let a Toss player tech up to Arbiters that's going to make things awfully difficult for ya. Best to do an upgraded lot/goon rush at the beginning to cripple/destroy him; ling/hydra rush; M&M + siege push before it gets too late. :cool:

4. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Thanks for answering.

I had a problem with these on protoss campaign level 7 I think. Since I didn't have the same technology advancement opportunities they had. I'll keep your advices in mind. One thing I learned, tho, was to keep my forces scattered. Ie attack with 8 small armies instead of 2-3 large ones. That way only some soldiers would freeze. Oh and of course to have an observer with me at all times, so that the opponents forces could not run.

And when I upgraded the scout speed, it was easier to kill the Arbiters, but they often froze me trying to kill them.. :( The templar-idea was good. I'll try that.

5. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

It amazes me that this game still gets so much play. I pull it out every year to and run throught the campaigns. Never went on Battlenet though with it. Just not that good. Good to hear its still out there.
    BTW: How long has Starcraft: Ghost been in the works? I seem to remember looking at concept drawings and such as long as 4 years ago.

6. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

It's really the only game of it's kind. C&C and all those had very different settings. Dune had the space-setting, but people forgot about it with the launch of C&C. I haven't played much on battle net either, but mostly because I don't see the big fun in it when you're not in the same room as the one who is kicking your butt. To each their own.

Ghost has been in the works for years. They have yet to announce a release-date, but I guess it's nearing. (If not they will have a lot of work reorganizing everything for the next generation of consoles.)

Work on it has at least come far enough to provide some gameplay videos on blizzard.com and nintendo.com

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, glad to help. I always found it better to take a "sacrificial" group of 3 or 4 ship out front, knowing they would get statis field-ed (usually would pick damaged ships to begin with) and then have a trialing fleet behind to deal with the arbiter(s) - that, or massive ground forces/HTs. As Terran, sci vessels work as excellent scouts due to their range and the EMP, rendering the arbiters useless. Beter than that though is using DA feedback - destroys the aribter in one shot, instantly. :cool:

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

What can I say, it's one of my favorite all-time games - a true classic. And a good example that you don't need mind-blowing 3D graphics to make a game good - gameplay and story are paramount, and Blizzard got it right. Hmm, maybe I'll fire it up again, it's been too long...

Ghost has been in the works for a long time, but what else is new with Blizzard? ;) Remember how long it took Diablo 2 to be released? Yikes...

Ghost will be good to play - something different - but Starcraft 2 is the one I'm looking forward to the most. :cool:

9. audiovox macrumors newbie

sorry, newbie question.

mac runs starcraft? or is there a separate mac version for it?

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep - Blizzard pumped out a PC and Mac version. So pick up a copy and enjoy!!!

11. audiovox macrumors newbie

brilliant :D

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

FYI -- If you have a Windows version of the StarCraft CD, the key will work on the hybrid discs. Same for Brood War.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, I can attest to that as well - played the original SC on my PC and BW on both my PC and a Mac.

Hmm, just remembering back to how challenging those last few Zerg missions were in BW. Took me a while to unlock the secret Zeratul level, and the last mission was just a big evil deathtrap... yet so enjoyable... :cool:

14. t0ast macrumors member

If there is ONE game you should have on your desktop, that's Starcraft.

Give me a shout on AIM if you ever want a game... I can't remember having refused a game in SC..:D

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I might take you up on that sometime - but first I'll have to dig out my discs and reinstall it. It has been a while... :cool:

16. t0ast macrumors member

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

My problem is I bought starcraft before the CD's were hybrid. I only have PC copies but I want to play on my Powermac. Blizzard wants $15 to get replacement CD's but I can go and get the battle chest for $20 or less. Hmm...

18. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Starcraft AND broodward is £8 at play.com, including shipping worldwide afaik. That's too good to miss..

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wasn't aware of that offer - maybe I'll have to buy another copy... ;)

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

"Direct my wrath."

21. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

You should be able to pick up SC and BW in a bargain bin somewhere for 10 bucks, the game is like 7 years old, after all. I still play regularly, myself. I just have yet to find a game I like better. If you're playing against the computer just send a small army or two of scouts at the arbiter so he'll stasis field them and waste his energy, then send a big army of scouts at him. The computer is easily fooled.

22. t0ast macrumors member

You must be _deep_ into toss if you can tell that quote by memory.

"Your taunts are unadvised, Templar."
    (Yes, I've spent to much time on SC trivias....:D)

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

As Terran I have missile turrets around my base, so they can't get close and then warp in units. Or for mobility, a single Science Vessel that uses Active Matrix on itself+12 Goliths+2 Ghosts

The Science Vessel detects and can also irradiate-- great against Zurg as well as buried units/mines.
    The 12 Goliths do a great deal of damage against ground units as well as air units, but you have to upgrade their range (in BW). Upgrade them, too.

And the Ghosts can use Lockdown to keep stuff in position as you blown them to shreds. 2 Ghosts=more lockdowns at the same time.

Protoss, just mass Carriers and (upgraded) Observers. They work no matter what.

24. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

thanks for all the replies. I've started reading through the starcraft compendium om battle.net aswell. ( www.battle.net/scc ) Good reading.

One level left of the standard campaign. I have yet to do brood-wars. This is kind of fun! :D

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Heh heh - yep. ;) The Toss are my race of choice. :cool:

"Your will, Executor?"
    "It is a good day to die!"