Starcraft in OS X environment?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SoAP, Jun 7, 2004.

1. SoAP macrumors newbie

SoAP

I am wondering if anyone here knows a way to run Starcraft and its expansion in the OS X environment and not the OS 9 environment.

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Yeah, you need the carbon patches. You can get them HERE

Soon, (they have announced) they will have a OS X native installer for the game as well... so you won't need 9 to install. Cheers,

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Do you have any idea when these might be available. I would love to have them as I miss playing starcraft, but I don't want to put classic back on my computer just to play it.

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Well, they just released the Diablo installer for OS X, and they stated in the release, "An OS X-native installer for StarCraft is in the works as well, and we will make a similar post here once that is available."

In the meantime, I would suggest that you install the classic environment... it's kinda like an emulator. You should have it on your OS disks. Also (don't know if this works for sure on all macs...), you could install starcraft on an older mac(running os 9 or whatever is req.), and then just copy the 'starcraft folder' to your OSX computer. Then install the carbon patches to the copy on your OSX computer. Once you install the game and carbon patches, there's no need for classic. This would prevent you from having to install the classic environment. If you promise(by pain of death :eek: ) that you own the game, I'll 'tar.gz' it up for you and place it on my ftp server(carbonized and all) for you to grap. No promises on it working... Cheers

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I appreciate the offer, but I think that I will put it on my Mom's powerbook the next time I see her and then try to copy it over, as she still has classic on her 'book. I think that just might work. I don't want to put classic back on my computer because it just eats up hard disk space that I need, at least on my laptop ;)

6. SoAP thread starter macrumors newbie

SoAP

RE:

Yeah, I think I will just wait for the OSX Starcraft installer, I personally hate the classic environment... Thanks for the update on that

7. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Or just fire up your Mac in target disk mode. All the files are contained in the Starcraft folder.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Hmm...hadn't thought of that....might have to give that a try as well....just copy the files over from the cd on another computer?

9. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

i need that!!! is there anybody who's willing to send me a copy of StarCraft that's installed successfully? I've installed the classic environment under OS X, but that doesn't work when i tried several times to install starcraft under the classic environment.

Thanks anybody who can help me~~~Or, who have a link(BT, ftp, http, what ever) to download the Installed Version?
    I have the Original CD(Both sc and broodwar), so it won't be neccessary for me to get the huge mpq file. :(

thanks everyone!!!!!

10. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

CALL Blizzard

They have a beta of the Starcraft OS X install. You must call support with a valid CD key They kindly sent me a disk for $3.00 with the installer. Its a beta but I had no problems installing it.

11. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

may anyone please to send me a copy of that?

Would you please send me a copy of that? You know that I'm not in U.S, so maybe it wouldn't be possible for me to get a cd of that. :(

And, how big is that ? would you please send me a copy of that?
    Thanks in advance! :p
    and my e-mail is: msharpmac@hotmail.com

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Does anybody know of a way to adjust the resolution in starcraft in OS X so it runs higher than the defualt 800X600 (I think that's the resolution).

Thanks.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I don't think Starcraft runs any higher then 800X600 thats just the nature of the beast, its an old game so they never optimized for higher resolutions.

14. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

Breaking news!~

I'm glad to tell all the starcraft fans on the OS X, that the OS X NATIVE installer has already come out and i've given it a try with no problem!!!!!

Now the starcraft : broodwar is running on my os x flawless!!! Guys go and get it!!

15. principate macrumors newbie