Starcraft install problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Oki, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Oki macrumors member

Oki

Just bought the Starcraft Battle Chest set of games, and I am having install problems. When I insert the disk, the disk image appears on the desktop, but nothing happens. When I double click on the disk it opens the Finder and shows the contents of the disk, and when I click on the program "Starcraft Installer" it starts up OS 9 and then gives me an error that says "Couldn't open installer archive. You must run the installer on the Starcraft CD." I am new to Macs, so I really don't know what to do. Help, plz!

15" Powerbook . 80 gig hdd . Radeon 9600 mobile 128 . 512 mb ram . OS X 10.3.4

2. Maxicek macrumors regular

There is an alternate installer on the Blizzard Website for running under OSX in Classic mode.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p#patch_information

I am playing on a PC at the moment, but my new PB should arrive monday so, i won't know the details of the Mac install until later in the week. But the blizzard website is quite good and hopefully will get you up and running. Good luck.

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

What is happening is that StarCraft and Diablo do not like Classic too much. Since your book won;t boot into classic, you need the new OS X installer, or find a friend with a machine with Firewire and OS 9 and install via Firwire target mode to your powerbook.

Althuogh not released yet, Blizzard DOES have a StarCraft OS X Installer. Email or call them for help on Monday.

4. Oki thread starter macrumors member

Oki

New problem

Alright, well, I did buy the game, so don't get off on a tangent about how copying the disc is wrong, etc.. I made a copy of the Starcraft disc so I could store the original in another room and not have to run there everytime I wanted to play, but the copy I made (made in in OS X, not Windows) will not play. I can open the image and view the contents, but when I run the installer, nothing happens. It does not prompt me to run Classic emulation or anything. Doesn't even go to the dock. Any ideas?

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Try again.

I have done this as I travel with SC and my powerbook and I hate scratched CDs. It played fine. I have never installed of a copy before, but I see no reason why it would not work.

Or since you have the originals, instal from those and use the copy to play.

Also, early versions were PC only disks. Are you sure you have the Mac installer?

6. vasaz macrumors member

7. vasaz macrumors member

One more thing, you might have done this right, but just checking all bases. When you made the cd copy, did you use Disk Utility (applications->utilities)? Select the CD you want to copy on the left side (either session or actual name), then in the 'Images' menu select 'New' -> 'image from ...'.

edit: added more detail

8. Oki thread starter macrumors member

Oki

I don't know what the problem was, but it's smooth going now. Is there any way to turn up the res on Starcraft? Right now I am playing it in a small square in the center of my screen, the rest is all black...irritating to say the least.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Actually, it works on some computers but not on others. It didn't run on my iBook but runs fine on my Power Mac G4.

10. vasaz macrumors member

for the resolution issue, make sure that in the 'advanced' tab in the startup options (the screen when you first open the game), 'don't switch resolutions' is NOT checked. I have a 1.5 powerbook, and the lcd had no problems switching to starcrafts lower res. oh yea, there is no way to make starcraft play res higher (that i know of), it is stuck at 640x480

11. johnkrz macrumors member

what you need to do

you need to boot into os9 to install the game. then you need to boot into osx and start the game. install the updates and yooull be fine. do the same for broodwar. boot into os9 and then install. the same thing happened to me. mke sure you boot into os9 that is the key to installing it right.