Starcraft on Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Games' started by CANEHDN, Feb 16, 2006.

1. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I've just got my new 20" Intel iMac w/ 2GB RAM and 256VRAM. I installed and tried Starcraft on it. Runs perfect. Just thought every would like to know. And one more thing. You have to get one of these. I've never seen a Mac run so fast. It's so awesome, it gives me shivers.
  2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Thanks for the info! :) Glad to see a fellow SC lover.
  3. Gatorman macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2002
    That's awesome to know! I was hoping that Starcraft wouldn't end up collecting dust when I get my MBP......come on grad school accceptance!
  4. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2006
    Jacksonville Beach

They are awesome huh. I was in the Apple store the other day and I was trying them out. Pretty darn nice.

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    how did you get it to install? I thought the install for sc was OS 9? And rosetta doesn't run OS 9 app?
  6. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Blizzard released a Mac OS X installer so you can install and play it without needing any OS 9 support.

Good to hear, I love Starcraft. Any word on if Diablo II works on Intel Macs?
  7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Havn't installed starcraft since I first got a mac. I just keep copying my backup off my external hard drive.
  8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Starcraft is still one of the best games out there. There are still over 10,000 active users on at anyone time. I am glad to hear that it will run on Intel Macs. Its one of the best games ever, and I have no problems saying that.

Hopefully Blizzard will get off its WoW ass, and make starcraft II
  9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    I love Starcraft it is still one of the best games out there, glad to hear that it works on an Intel Mac.

I glad to hear Blizzard is actually bringing out some Apple support because it always seems that Windows users get all there issues fixed way before any Apple people do.
  10. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
    I had actually made a post about this and they linked me here. Great to know Starcraft works well on Intel Macs.

YES! Please!

I've been dying for them to make another Starcraft. It's one of the most balanced RTS games ever, one of the best storylines, and like you said, its very active still. My only worry is that Blizzard will screw it up since, from what I've been told, a lot of the original Starcraft guys have left Blizzard.

That aside, I have a huge list of things that I believe could (and need to) be improved upon, as SC has so much potential by itself. If they could bring out that potential in a sequel without screwing it up, we could have an RTS Renaissance in the gaming world on both PC and Mac.
  11. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006
    Starcraft yes, Brood War no

So Starcraft works fine (from CD or from a CD image made with the Disk Utility).

Brood War, however, does not. 2 reasons:
    1) Imaging. You cannot image it successfully as either read-only or compressed via Disk Utility or command line. (It throws an "invalid argument" error towards the end of the process). You can image it as a CD/DVD Master, but Brood War fails to recognize it as the actual CD. There are two possible causes that I can divine from direct comparison:
    • the image's mount name is different from the CD's (the CD mounts as '/Volumes/Brood War CD 1' whereas the image mounts as '/Volumes/Brood War CD'. I renamed the volume after mounting it (using 'disktool -n [old] [new]'), but that didn't fix the problem, so that leaves...
    • the image is not read-only. i've done some digging but haven't figured out a way to convert the mounted volume to read-only. doubtless, someone will suggest using the Disk Utility to convert the CD/DVD Master image to a read-only one, but that fails in the exact same manner as trying to create a read-only image directly does...

2) Networking. So, what, i'll just play with the disc, you say? Fair enough. Except that the game crashes regularly when attempting to play over the local network. (I haven't tried yet as my friend and i were itching to beat up on the computer). In any event, as soon as i would select his game in the menu, my Brood War would hang (sometimes badly enough to lock up my MacBook altogether, being that it was stuck in full-screen mode). We were able to play once but my MacBook locked up within 30 seconds of game start.

I truly hope they release a universal binary or a patch ASAP... I love playing Starcraft, but Brood War is so much better!

(I may just give in and play Warcraft III... also a good game, but it's just not the same. ;)

12. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    So Brood War multiplayer doesn't work on Intel Macs??? I'm anxious to hear if does... Honestly as it stands now if Starcraft can't go Intel then there's no reason for me to go intel. Unless Starcraft 2 comes out :)
  13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'll let you know....

My iMac should be here on Thursday, and as Diablo II is a fixture on my machines as a quick WoW antidote then it'll be installed quick sharp.
  14. t0ast macrumors member

Sep 29, 2004
    Did you try locking it? That used to work for a lot of CD images.
    If that doesn't work, try using Toast Titanium, excellent application for burning and creating disk-images. By the way: my CD-image mounts as "Brood War CD", and it works. (mounted by toast)

I had a similar problem with Starcraft some time ago, and still have from time to time, reinstalling SC helped, although its still too slow. I've been pondering about what could be causing that, but I haven't been able to put my finger on anything, my guess would be that SC and Os X networking doesn't go along very well.
  15. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    I am very glad to hear that at least the single-player stuff works with StarCraft. I posted the contents of a letter I got from Blizzard on the OSX86Project forums back when the iMac and MBP were released and Blizzard said they worked fine under Rosetta. I'm concerned that multiplayer isn't working properly and if that's the case, Intel-based Mac owners need to let Blizz know...maybe if enough people complain of multiplayer issues or game issues, they'll compile it as a UB. I'm very interested in getting a new Mini, as they're certainly down into my price range, and I love StarCraft. I play it fine in OS X now, but I don't want to lose that software (or Diablo II) going to Intel. When I get a Mini, I'll try it out but you can guarantee that Blizz will find out about it if I have problems, and you should tell them too.
  16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    I had no problem creating an image of Brood War... I did it right after I got my Intel iMac, 02/04/2006. Image is 556.6MB

I have yet to try a LAN game with other people. I started a game and had the other player slots on CPU - THAT worked fine.
  17. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006

To clarify...'s lobby seemed to work fine. It's the Brood War local network lobby that consistently crashes / hangs.

The Starcraft local network lobby and local network gameplay worked flawlessly every time.

My best guess is that there is some incompatability introduced by the Rosetta translation of the Brood War UDP/IP socket communications.

18. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006
    What kind of image?

CD/DVD Master?

As i said, CD/DVD Master images create successfully, but Brood War won't recognize it for some reason (no use rehashing that here).

As to why your machine had no troubles... the iMac is a different machine. Same processor, yes. But it has a different disc drive (a double-layer one), so that could be part of it.

Interestingly enough, i've read other online accounts from last fall where people had the exact same issue as me on older iMacs, which i believe also had single-layer drives.
  19. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006
    Good tips, t0ast! I locked the CD/DVD Image (.cdr) file and re-named its mounted volume back to "Brood War CD" and voila! (And I didn't have to use Toast at all)! Thanks :)

I also tried hosting a localhost Brood War network game, which worked fine. However, that likely circumvents whatever the hardware conflict is that causes the crash in actual LAN games.
  20. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    What about games?
  21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Select the image in the Finder. Get Info on it. Check the "Locked" box. Magic, instant read-only disk image.

Hate to break it to you, but the MacBook Pro has a dual-layer drive too. That is, it can read dual-layer discs. It can't burn them. But CDs haven't ever been dual-layered anyways (DVDs are though).
  22. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006
    Thanks for underscoring my point. The dual-layer drive in the iMac is has different electronics and therefore different firmware than the super-slim single-layer drive in the MacBook... therefore it may not throw the same errors that mine does when burning a read-only or compressed dmg.

Anyone else encounter LAN ( game crashes in Brood War?
  23. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    I plan on ordering a 17" iMac later this week, so I hope to get them soon...

24. jerisbrisk macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2006
    So now that the disc image is working I tried a Brood War LAN game with my friend and lo and behold... it seemed to work fine, as long as I hosted.

Strange stuff.
  25. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2006
    I tried this on my Macbook Pro 2Ghz with 2GB RAM, after running the installer, and putting in the CD Key, then selecting where to install it, it spits out the CD and says "Please insert the CD labeled Starcraft"

Anyone run into this?