Starcraft using Wiimote

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bunzi2k4, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2003
    San Diego, California
    I just tried to play starcraft using a wiimote.

It's like the scent of lemon! I hooked up my macbook to the tv and used darwiinRemote. Works great!

Couple problems though, there is no right click at the moment, and the mouse is a little jittery... It's such a rewarding feeling... using the wiimote to exterminate those pesky zerg... ^^

Seriously speaking, the Nintendo wii would be perfect for Rts games...:D
  2. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    If they don't release a bunch, they'll be doing the new hardware a HUGE disjustice. Maybe they could port Warcraft 3 or something to Wii. Heck, even Starcraft would be fun. Consoles just don't have a history of RTS games, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Although, there will be that action/RTS game Batallion Wars 2 coming out. But I'd like an old school, traditional RTS game like Starcraft or something.
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    IIRC, the Wii remote camera is 1024x768. Overkill for a 640x480 TV set, but if you're gaming in a high resolution, the mouse will be jittery because the Wii remote isn't accurate enough. that why Nintendo opted out of HD?
  4. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2003
    San Diego, California
    hmmm... well I did play starcraft using 640x480, but it was still really jumpy... It wasn't terrible, just impossible when using the mini-map. It might just be the program... but man... Now I want to try all of the first person shooters using the wiimote! I think I'm gonna go find Halo again ^^

I love the wiimote!
  5. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

would seem to me like a huge pain in the ass to micro and macro....

dont even wan to think how much of a pain it would be to play company of heroes
  6. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA

Maybe they can release starcraft 64 in the VC and allow you to use the wiimote. That would be an easy solution that would be loads of fun.
  7. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Yeah you need mouse pinpoint accuracye and lots of keyboard shortcuts to play RTS effectively, unless of course you wish to play Starcraft like you did on the N64 :rolleyes:
  8. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Hey I think it could be done on the wii remote. If you have the nun-chuck attachment, you could use the control stick as the arrow keys, the d-pad could be specific commands (like build, attack, repair, etc.). The A button can be left click, B can be right click. heck, if you shake the nun-chuck, it works like a spacebar! The only problem I could see, is then you can't do the number squads... still, I think that would be awesome... or how about the Diablo series? I wonder how well that would work... o_0

Well I tried Halo on the tv. It doesn't work very well. Okay, so it's almost impossible to keep the camera still. If you deviate a little from the center of the screen, master chief will turn like crazy in that direction. I almost got motion sickness. It works a little better if you run halo in a window, but it's still impossible to snipe or do anything productive in the game.
  9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Yeah but when playing from a normal gaming position the wiimote is probably too far from the screen to resolve the individual pixels anyway, it was never designed to be hugely accurate.