Starcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by aaron.lee2006, Jul 16, 2006.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Does anyone know if Starcraft originally came with a version of Windows and OSX on the disc. I have a PC verision but would like to play it on my MacBook Pro. It isn't a problem to put it on BootCamp but it would be more convienient to play it under OSX.

2. colinp macrumors member

The very first release of Starcraft was not dual system. It should say on the disc whether it supports Mac OS and Windows. But yeah, I ended up just buying the $20 pack so I could play it on my PPC.

I am pretty sure it was the same with Diablo 2, but I could be wrong on that. I think Warcraft 3 was the first Blizzard game that was dual format at shipping time.

3. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

Starcraft system requirements

Windows 95/98/NT
    Pentium 90 or higher
    16 MB RAM
    DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
    Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
    Double-Speed CD-ROM
    (Quad Speed for Cinematics)

Macintosh
    PowerMac or Compatible
    16 MB RAM
    System 7.6 or higher
    256 Color, 640x480 Display or Better
    Double-Speed CD-ROM
    (Quad Speed for Cinematics)

It like its WCIII bretheren works just fine on a mac

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

The problem is, Starcraft is so old, the Mac version is for Mac OS 9 or something...

If you have the PC/Mac CDs, you can go to Blizzard's website to download the OS X installer/game.

5. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

As far as the CD's go, I was in the same situation as you. Blizzard offered to replace my CD's with hybrids for $15 S&H with 3 weeks wait. BestBuy has the Battle Chest for $19. Instead, I opted to copy a friends hybrid CD's and use my CD-Keys. I was a little unsure about the legality but I have decided that since I already bought the game and Blizzard was going to swap my CD's that it should be OK. After all that, I run it in Windows anyway since the cinematics did not work for me on my Intel iMac.