Starcraft!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ~Shard~, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I noticed no one has posted much on Starcraft here. In some ways, maybe there's not much to say, but I still felt like starting up a thread to see if anyone wants to share their thoughts, etc. on this amazing game.

Starcraft is truly one of my favorite games of all-time. It is fun to play, over and over, is great fun online, the storylines are superb, and the overall gameplay is great. Starcraft is one of those games where the graphics don't really even matter - it's proof that graphics don't make a great game. Thehy could release a new Starcraft today, with the same graphics, and I would buy it in a second.

Speaking of which, I realize Starcraft Ghost is the latest offering form Blizzard, but when is Starcraft 2 coming out? That has got to be such a highly anticipated sequel. I realize it probably won't be released for a couple more years, but when it does come out, I'm picking it up on its release day. :cool:

I'd be happy to read anyone else's comments on this great game, so post away! :)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Starcraft 2? I'm still waiting for the Mac version of Ghost!

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

oh man good ol' SC. I think I've played this game, on and off, for over 6 years. More lasting power than ANY console game. Period.

If you guys want to play, I'm all game. USEast or West, whatever works for you guys.

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I loved Starcraft until I played Warcraft 3. Now, in my opinion, that is the new champ. Reducing the food limit to 90 forces you to balance forces and heros really change the game for the better. Sorry Starcraft, I loved you once, but then your big brother came home.

P-Worm

5. cubist macrumors 68020

By contrast I didn't like the heros/magic stuff in WC3 at all. I played SC for a long time, & the mac os X patch worked well. I completed two of the three campaigns, but usually I liked playing random games or on battle.net.

Haven't played it in a while; maybe I'll dust it off. Protoss Carriers rule!

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You won't find StarCraft Ghost on the Mac though... it's console only last time I looked.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This thread reminds me that I wanted to install Starcraft on my 15inch AluBook, but when I try to install off the CD (via Classic) I get this error message:

(Yes, it's the original CD, not a copy)

edit
    Note: this is a desperate plea for help!!!

Attached Files:

8. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

[blizzard/SC bash]

I grew up a Bungie boy, and if you use a Mac, you had better know who they are, it's like not knowing who Steve Jobs is. Anyway, I always had to compare Blizzard games to what Bungie had just released. When SC came out, Myth II had just come out, and honestly, after spending YEARS engrossed in that thinking game of strategy, the whole "who can build the most forces the fastest and attack" style of SC just wasn't as challenging. The "skill" that SC took was something aside from the battle. All the Skill was used to manage what happened behind the army.

The expandability of MythII was far greater too. You get many many different game types with all new buildings and units designed by the community. I won't forget the first time I joined a SC game with a "new TOTR map!" to find out it was a bunch of marines renamed after the characters in my favorite book.

And the online feel of SC couldn't compare to MythII. playing Myth you KNEW the people you were playing with, you couldn't forget them. people used names not colors when talking to people. There was a post game chat that everyone got dumped into after the game, not back out into the lobby where you weren't likely to find them unless you knew their EXACT name.

That being said, for every day I've spent playing Myth, I've played another 1 or 2 on SC. It is a fun game to play, and enjoyable, it just still strikes me as dumb for whatever reason.

My brother loves all games Blizzard, and for my part, I enjoy them too. I just like my own little analogy of SC games. They are like Crack Cocaine, fun, addicting, you use it a lot because you can't stop, but it takes no skill, only time, and is hella bad for you :)

I also have issues with Blizzards game design...After being in the quality community that is the Bungie one, I have a hard time liking the fact that Blizzard in the last 10 years, has produced 9 (give or take) for sale "games", and they all come with just 3 names, and more or less 2 styles of play, though they are improved upon a little from version to version. Hopefully SC: Ghost (though for heaven sakes they had to slip "starcraft" in there) will be a different style of game.

guess I'm just too spoiled by Bungie, in reality most game companies are like Blizzard. Game companies after all are copmanies, just trying to make a buck.

[end blizzard bashing and rant]

Just an opinion folks, like I said, I've played SC more then just about any other game. But you asked people to talk about it, so I did :)
    Let the bashing of the anti-Blizzard people begin!

Tyler
    Earendil

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

ugh...SC takes no skill, only time?

edited: Now i know where i heard this argument from (on the PC side though)--from Command and Conquer players :) Alas, i dunno how strong the following was on Mac side, but PC side it was always between C&C or SC.

Granted I wasn't even interested to look at either Myth or Myth II.

However, i will bring another game (but might be PC only) -- Total Annihilation.

It was the first, and only good release by the newcomer CaveDog. Unfortunately the next one, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, was a horrible following to good ol TA. If any of you guys have played, you will understand how drastically different this is from your standard SC/WC3 or AoE kind of game.

10. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think Chrono Trigger has you beat. I've been playing it via SNES9x for the past few days. Still the Best Game Ever! :D

12. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

In reply to the post asking about installing Starcraft in Classic: Check out this link.

13. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I second that, Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever, that along with the Final Fantasy series.

14. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Thank you so very, very much!!

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Sorry I played that too :), console legit (i.e. shelling out $80 at the local Toys-R-Us for it at Christmas time in '95.

So i've owned it for 8 years...but i only played it through 7th grade or so (beat it too many time, everything got predictable).

But yeah, SNES9x lets me play it again at school, if the nostalgia bug hits me again.

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just wish I could *install* starcraft... I don't have a copy of OS 9 anymore... otherwise I'd install OS 9 on my iPod and boot from there and install it... (yeah it's not advisable to run your OS from an iPod but it's not for days and weeks on end).

I really wish somehow Blizzard would release installers for their old games providing you have the original CD. I have WarCraft II, StarCraft, Diablo, and Diablo II just sitting waiting to be OS Xified but I can't even install them to patch them... :( Roxio did this with Toast 5 (granted you had to order a $20 CD which stinks)... I wouldn't think it'd be impossible to do with the Blizzard games... :( Couldn't I just somehow copy the files to my OS X partition in the right spots or something?

18. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It looks like that is to install Brood Wars on an already existing StarCraft installation. Thanks though!

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You even got *all* the alternate endings? There are what, 12? 15? You must have spent quite a bit of time doing that...

21. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

ChronoTrigger was good, but I stil prefer Final Fantasy VII over it - that's my favorite FF game of the bunch. But this is all just personal preference. :) I love Starcraft, I love FFVII, I love Civ II, and going way back, I love Wasteland - still one of my favorite all-time games ever. :)

Who knows when Starcraft 2 will come out - I'm giving it another 2 years... it's a shame, but I can't get my hopes up - Blizzard takes so long to release games!

22. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Didn't you read my post about installing Starcraft in classic?

23. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Who knows when Starcraft 2 will come out - I'm giving it another 2 years... it's a shame, but I can't get my hopes up - Blizzard takes so long to release games! [/QUOTE]

Take so long to release games?
    let's go through their games in the last 10 or so years that retailed for 49 bucks

Warcraft
    Warcraft 2
    Warcraft 2 expansion
    Starcraft
    Starcraft Expansion
    Diablo
    Diablo 2
    (was there an expansion for Diablo?)
    Warcraft 3
    Warcraft 3 expansion

That's a "game" a year.

Now we've got, what?
    World of Warcraft and Starcraft: Ghost ?
    when do we see Diablo: CashCow?

Not to say that a few of them aren't good games, see my other post concerning that. It just seems like Blizzard takes a title, and milks it for all it's worth. Diablo and SC came out like 4 or 5 years ago? since that time they've had 4 games, none of which had an orginal name :(

Earendil
    Tyler

24. steadyeddie macrumors member

I think what he means is, he hasn't got classic at all (an OS X-only system).