Stardust Capsule Lands Safely

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'd be interested to know if the capsule picked up any alien hitchhikers while cruising in the cold, bleakness of space. Interesting none the less. Does anyone know if the capsule used aerogel?
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thanks! And I was also thinking of the Andromeda strain, but forgot to mention it.....makes you wonder if that sort of thing will ever happen....if we continue to to the planets, I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before we'll be worrying about the Martian Flu - but probably not in my lifetime :D

D

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just thought i would mention that this thing flew around the Sun "Sol":) twice before going by comet wild which was near Jupiter at the time. It should have some very interesting stuff stuck in its aerogel. 7 years it took to do this. Good science.
    Its a shame govt goes for politics/military in space instead of science,exploration and working on a real spaceship. Even Nasa' new to be crew exploration vehicle will really be just more apollo so in the end if we have a rock or asteroid heading our way there is little we could do.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I was wondering the same. What if some sort of bacteria or something like that which has been frozen on the comet does enter Earth? Might be SF, but I wonder if there's some sort of security involved...

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You need to be careful about stuff that comes from returned satellites and the like. Blue already mentioned The Andromeda Strain and there's always the possibility of something like this happening... :eek:

11. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

12. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Check out this video of the reentry:

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/photo/stardust_reentry.html

This movie was taken from a NASA DC-8 aircraft as the Stardust sample return capsule entered the atmosphere in the early morning hours of Jan. 15, 2006. At the time this video was shot, the DC-8 was flying at the eastern edge of the Nevada state line. The Stardust sample return capsule had a soft landing in the US Air Force's Utah Test and Training Range at 3:10 am MST.