StarOffice or OpenOffice for Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chrisnorth, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Chrisnorth macrumors member

Lots of people seem convinced that Apple is working on a new Office Suite as an alternative to Microsoft Office. I agree, and my favourite contender has been OpenOffice, duly modified and improved, of course. Well this article from the Rgister seems to suggest that something is brewing between Sun and Apple. Maybe it's StarOffice.

Any thoughts?:confused:

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

OpenOffice.

I like the products that are out, as opposed to rumors.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Sun recently sung many praises of apple. They are poised to release a new OS (i'm guessing a Solaris version) that's suppose to directly compete with Windows while undercutting it's price. It looks promising but McNealy seems to be begging Apple to port or perhaps licence iTunes to Solaris to boost it's sales. I've been posting in a macbytes.com thread about how cool it would be if Sun and Apple merged. I don't have a link so just go find it yourselves.

I think that Apple should license iTunes to Sun, let them pay for the porting. In return, Sun gives Apple their blessing for the OS X port to StarOffice ala Appleworks 7.0 or something along with seamless, fluid Java SDKs and support straight from Sun. Perhaps even Apple buying a license of the Solaris OS to implement some of it's server code into OS X. It would be a good partnership because Apple will make money on the iTunes licensing and iTMS sales. Sun can market their OS as AAC supporting and ipod capable. OS X can absorb whatever features Solaris can offer it as well as better Java and a new Office suite.

A partnership is a must... merger... should be considered.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's ****ing brilliant. ;) Apple doesn't have to do much to get itself a new "Appleworks" if this is done.

However, is StarOffice better than OpenOffice? I have only used OpenOffice, which happens to screw up bullets for me occasionally when saving a file as an MS Word document.

Can't they distribute OpenOffice for free? Its free anyway, right? I don't know the legality of this. :confused:

6. Chrisnorth thread starter macrumors member

I used the last free version of StarOffice, and thought it quite capable. Ultimately, it sounds like too much good could come out of this for Apple and Sun to ignore the possibilities. Of course, anything is possible.

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice.org:
    http://www.lbl.gov/ITSD/CIS/faqs/SOFTWARE_Desktop_Applications/17.html

I wish that Apple would use the OpenOffice.org code base and create a new version of AppleWorks. Apple should at least start bundling OpenOffice.org with its computers.

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Noting the differences in StarOffice and OpenOffice, I would rather see Apple build Appleworks off of the StarOffice code base so that it can include the database application in StarOffice. OpenOffice does not have this.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Didn't McNealy try to buy Apple back in the 90's. I remember that his asking price was ridiculously low, and he was miffed.

I would go with OpenOffice, but you do have to make sure you install it correctly. Not too hard though.

Regards,
    Gus

10. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I can afford it, and you may buy it for me. :p I might consider buying Microsoft Office if the price was close to free - no more than $25, and I would buy it at under $10. These prices are available to some people who can use special academic pricing. I'm not going to pay $500 to the Microsoft monopoly, but I am looking at buying Apple Soundtrack. :)

11. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

You don't really need StarOffice code to use its database application because Adabas D is made by Software AG:
    http://www.adabasd.com/adabas/product/strategy.htm

12. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007