Start Aqua Manually

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qgriffith, Jan 14, 2006.

1. qgriffith macrumors newbie

My Mac G5 is upstairs in another room away from the rest of my systems, does anyone no a way I could SSH into the machine and export the display to one of my other systems and then issue a command to start up aqua, kind of like you do on linux with start x? I can not seem to find the command OS X uses to start up the GUI.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've wondered about that too, but I don't know if it's possible. The only way I've found to boot Aqua manually from the computer itself (after logging into Single User Mode) is to logout, so that wouldn't help you there. You could try finding where the WindowServer and/or SystemUIServer apps are located (see Activity Monitor or top) and try loading them, but I don't even remember exactly what you'd have to do to do that.

jW

3. qgriffith thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using VNC right now but it is slow as heck

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X does not use the X Windowing System (X11) for its display, except for those apps that are specificly intended to run under X11. A similar feature was an integral part of NeXTstep and OpenSTEP. IIRC, it was called nxhost. At any rate, Apple has chosen not to implement it as part of MacOS X. To do what you want with Aqua-based apps, you have to use a third-party solution such as Timbuktu Pro.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The main problem with doing this is that "Aqua" (i.e. the Window Server process) uses the graphics card to do a lot of work. This is tied straight into the frame buffer. Remoting this is a bit tricky!

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I suggest you stick with VNC unless there's an X11 app you can use. Just increase the bandwith available and turn on all of the compression settings that you can.