Start my new (old) job today

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, I start my new (old) job today. :rolleyes:

I lost my job right before Christmas. You may remember the "lost my job today" thread from back then. I work at a major airline, and our group was gutted. Many lost their jobs completely, some like me were allowed to 'roll back' to the front line. I was dropped 5 spots from Project Manager to ramp agent. I took a 48% pay cut (and the pilots thought 33% was outrageous).

I went back through basic training (which I used to teach to the new hires). And now I start work today! It is currently 26 degrees out, brrrrr. I will be working to unload and load airplanes. It is honest work, and under appreciated. I know baggage handlers take a bad rap, and deserve it in some cases, but many are honest, and hard working. Hopefully I will be one of those again.

I'll have to try and work 12 hour days (4 overtime), and one of my off days to make ends meet again. I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. I will be working 0630-1500.

Taking a deep breath and putting on my jacket and heading out now to try to gain acceptance with a new bunch of guys and gals, most of them half my age.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today! Stay warm!!

I appreciate everyone's support over the past month!

If anybody wants to hear more in the "do you have a skeleton in the closet" thread, let me know. I'll try to work it in. I'm going to try and separate and catalog things. I haven't even scratched the surface there yet.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Good Luck to you mate, I am sure your new co-workers will be understanding of your situation and plenty friendly.

Do stay warm out there and try not to exert yourself too hard. I applaud the matter-of-fact approach you are taking to all this, as it is no small sacrifice you are making on behalf of your family to make ends meet - you are a fine man. Guess it runs in the family, eh?

This just goes to show that unfortunate things do happen to undeserving people. I hope you are shopping around for other potential employment possibilities. With your level of education, and experience, you should at the very least be able to find something that pays at least that of a baggage-handler, and is decided more suited to the skills you have to offer (unless there are pension concerns or something, which seems almost laughable since we are talking about an Airline).

Do keep us posted, and I have loved your other thread, please continue to contribute. Take care out there.

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

good luck MacDawg! hope it all goes well :)

looks like this might affect the time you can post at MacRumors :eek: always enjoy your threads and posts.

have a great day! :cool:

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Good luck MacDawg! Don't take any crap from the young'uns! :)

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

glad to hear the news about the job, best of luck!

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good luck today 'Dawg. I have been at my new (old) job now in my second week. May you have as much support as I did. And as much fun doing something old hat again. Too bad you couldn't have been moved to gate agent. But then again you don't have to put up with passenger attitudes. :)

8. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Good luck and best wishes. Your positive attitude should stand you in good stead, and I'm sure that the "young ones ain't got nothing on you". Just stay warm!

Regards,
    Marc

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good luck Dawg, dont strain yourself too much, as this is only the first day yet, or strain yourself and get some workers comp!!

anywho, your a good guy, keep up the good work, and i hope everything ends out for the best in the end.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Good luck with the new jobs - and try to restrain your dawg sense when you smell people travelling with a big roast in their bags. :D

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

wow thats terrible, I know what its like in a smaller way just changing jobs and going from a manager to a scrub. Think about the postives, with all this baggage handling you'll either continue to or develop new muscles from all the lifiting and theres nothing wrong with that.

12. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Great Sucking Sagui!
    Good luck Dawg. I respect what you are doing a whole lot. Many people might think such a "demotion" would be too below them to accept.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In his orginal thread, it was mentioned that his employer might have been hoping for that.... :mad:

14. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Congratulations on taking it so well. I hope you Christmas was still quite enjoyable. Now that you are an airport person, I just have to ask you one question, though. I have always wanted to know - at least when I'm not pondering about whether Lindsay Lohan is a better singer than Hillary Duff: Why am I not allowed to take razor blades through airport security when I'm perfectly able to buy them at the Duty Free store right by the gate?

15. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

That is an interesting point. Lets Ponderer that conundrum... :confused:
    Nope, still don't know.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You just can't keep a good 'Dawg down! Your attitude through this whole process has been truly amazing and inspiring. I have seen a few folks try to deal with a demotion similar to yours, and it's not easy for many to pull off. Your willingness to do whatever it takes to take care of your family is to be commended. It's a shame those in power can't pull their noses out of the ledger long enough to recognize what kind of man they have in their midst.

I hope you aren't too sore after your first two days of slinging bags. Keep at it, and I'm sure that good things will come your way.

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

good luck to you.

just out of curiosity, which airport do you work at?

19. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Good luck MacDawg, I hope it warms up soon for you.

I also hope things pick up and they are able to take you back inside where you belong one day.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Good to hear MacDawg, at least its a job, and not one that you hate whole heartedly. It pays the bills and its only a temporary situation which all depends on you. Good to know you are back on your feet and keeping busy. :)

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

So, how did it go? Was it what you expected? Better? Worse? I hope all worked out well (at least so far). We're all routing for you here.

22. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Details of my first day back were included in this thread, but I'm not sure many people saw it.

Day two wasn't quite as interesting. Much more mundane.

However, I did have to attend a meeting that was conducted by all my former "peeps". My old manager and my old co-workers conducted a meeting that all of us "ramp rats" had to attend. It was pretty much a downer. When the meeting started, my old manager said, "hey, you know more about this than any of us do, why don't you conduct the meeting?". To which I replied, "it doesn't take a genius to figure out who is wearing the ramp uniform, and who is dressed in business casual, I'll just sit here and listen with my comrades."

I do have a meeting requested by the Regional Director of Human Resources to discuss my "career plans". Don't expect much from that though. And I have 3 or 4 job bids in on Project Manager jobs and such. But now that I'm back on the ramp, I probably won't get looked at twice for those. I'll have to find my way out by hooking up with somebody that knows me. Isn't that the way it always works? It isn't what you know, it is always who you know!

In answer to jxyama, I work at the Atlanta airport, busiest in the world and getting busier on January 31st with the new schedule change. They are expanding soon to add their 5th runway and their new expanded International concourse.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

LOL! You should have told them you would give the meeting, but they would have to pay a consulting fee! :D

24. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hang in there man! Things should turn okay again in the end ....