Start paying for OSX again.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kettle, Jul 17, 2002.

1. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

All I want is a little reward for supprting OSXBeta (10.0 - 10.1.5) all this time.

OS 10.2, I hope, will be the first fully usable version. To be honest, I think that's what I have already paid for. Is cost of disks and shipping too much to ask.

Don't even get me started on what hardware I could buy to run it on.

It makes me feel like the hope and good will I have for all things Apple has been shoved back as surpless to requirement.

The thing is, I think they know that however much they charge, I'll pay it, eventually.

:(

2. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

Re: Start paying for OSX again.

Come on people stop complying think of os x as $258 you just paid it in two half, $129 for 10.0 and $129 for 10.2 and windows XP cost $200 (full not upgrade). $58 more then windows for the greatest operating system in the world, come on don’t be such a scrooge. Plus think of all the other apps you get with it iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iSync, iCal you get the point. Just these apps alone are worth way more the $258.

So please people stop complying about the price Apple have to make money and cover the developing cost of not only OS X but the all the other iapp that come with it too. XP is nowhere near as good as that believe me I use both in my house, ever used their free movie application ‘Movie Maker’, haha what a waste of hard drive space.

Plus you pay a bit more for your apple hardware and in return you get a quality piece of hardware, the same can be said for apple software. Now stop complying and start enjoying OS X.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Start paying for OSX again.

My oh my.... we do need cheering up don't we!!! :)

4. skyhawk macrumors newbie

I agree with kettle. As for mr. jobs, Stop "complying?" What the heck does that mean? Maybe you mean stop complaining, who knows? I've never heard of such ridiculous reasons why we should just fork out $130 (again!). I really hope that the people who say there's no reason to complain got out of the group home. I hope you're captured soon before you injure yourself. The only thing that will make me stop COMPAINING is if I get $130 fall out of the sky.

5. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

I'm certainly going to pay for a copy of 10.2 - the price doesn't seem unreasonable to me, or at least it's consistent with previous pricing. I found it more shocking that Apple charged full price for OS 9 - it was essentially just OS 7 dressed up a bit.

With 10.2 you're getting a lot more. I'm especially looking forward to being able to browse Windows networks - and the multi-threaded finder will be worth the price alone.

I'm not suprised that people are moaning - there were a lot of very unrealistic posts on this forum in the past month - it was obvious some people were going to be in for a shock.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Boy, there's a nice bit of irony for you. See, I do have a nice grownup life out there in the real world. I have this thing called a "job," and one of the perks to it is that WAY MORE than $130 falls right out of the sky into my savings account every two weeks.

Incidentally, I write software for a living, and the only reason these little cash storms continue on such a regular basis is that PEOPLE FSCKING PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE I WRITE.

Jeez, what is with you kids? People need money. People make things. Things cost money. Get over it.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Whatever happened to the Mac OS X Maintenance Program for volume licenses?

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5835&highlight=Maintenance+Program

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

upgrades

Actually, IF you wanted to go from win2k to winheXPee you have to pay $200. There are less improvements there then from 10.1 to 10.2. :p

I do think that people that purchased 10.1 and/or a system that shipped with 10.1.x SHOULD get 10.2 for less then the $129. That has been what the software coupons included with systems and the OS have been for in the past.

9. Draft macrumors 6502

Re: upgrades

I agree. Why not give it as an upgrade price of $50-80. I'd gladly pay that. It's hard to pay 129 for 10.2 when I just bought a Mac 2 months ago. I will pay 129 for 10.2 if I have to, but it's the principle of it.

Although it's true that 10.2 will be like $258 and Win XP is only $200, Win XP is and over-priced piece of ****. 10.2 is going to be a quality OS that, in my opinion, is not going to be worth $258.

And another thing, I thought that one of the reasons for the hardware prices being quite a bit more then PC's is that you are absorbing the cost of the quality software that comes with the machine, along with the machine itself. Apple either needs to get their asses in gear and get their computer specs up-to-par with other computer companies, or start realizing that to pay $258 for an OS is over-priced. I know that part of the problem is the chip manufacturers, but Apple should be pushing them to increase speeds faster then they currently are. Also, where's DDR ram? How long has DDR ram been available for PCs?

Weak Apple. Weak.

Draft

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I agree that the $129 with no upgrade price of OS X.2 sucks, but if you befriend a local college student, you can get it for $69... :)

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I really dont understand people who complain about the price of 10.2. you people must live in some sort of fantasy land. you think you bought 10.0 over a year ago and that entitles you to free upgrades for life or something?

this is a huge upgrade very much worth the cost.

apple has been giving us free updates for a very long time now, it is high time they actually made some money off all their hard (and expensive work).

i relaly do wonder how long all of you have been using computers. paying for a new version of an operating system is nothing unusual. but you know what is unusual? a company giving away free upgrades including a major .x upgrade for well over a year. that is what apple has been doing since osx came out. pouring millions into r&d and giving you the product for free.

ou act like apple owes you a living ro something. no one is forcing you to upgrade. if you do not think 10.2 is worth such a small cost then by all means stick with 10.1. expecting apple to keep giving everything away for free is just plain stupid and childish. apple made no promises that 10.2 would be free, in fact all indications pointed to 10.2 be a paid (and very expensive) upgrade. if you ignored all reason and bought a new mac or 10.0 expecting apple to give you free upgrades for life then you are a fool.

there has been more stupidity following this macworld than ever before. complaining about itools/.mac, no new powermacs, paid upgarde for 10.2, itunes3. what kind of fantasy land do you peopel live in where apple should make great stuff all the time and as long as you paid for something with an apple on it once you deserve free stuff or great discounts for life? wake up!

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Would it make you all feel better if Apple released 10.2 3 months later and called it 10.5? I don't see what the big deal is, 10.1 wasn't a full price upgrade. Look at 10.0 and 10.2, 10.2 has come a long way. I think that a full price upgrade every year is fine. Besides $129 is pretty damn inconsequential in the long run :rolleyes:

13. sageenos macrumors member

Does anyone know when new computers will start shipping with 10.2?

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Listen up

This is for you too AL...

I am NOT asking for a free OS X update (to 10.2). I just feel that the people that went out and paid FULL retail for 10.1 AND/OR picked up a system that shipped with at least 10.1.4 SHOULD get 10.2 for less then the $129. People that got the free or cheap update to 10.1 should pay the full retail. Apple can easily tell who those people are by the Software Coupons that came with their systems or OS X (10.1).

What is the point of including those coupons if they don't do you ANY good????

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ah ive missed you too Alph.

i am forced to wonder how long you have used computers. doesnt sound like its been long, because this is nothing new. 129$ for a full os is dirt cheap. this is less than windows charges for their 'upgrade.' there is no reason you should think that because you bought a apple computer in the past or you bought os10 in the past that you deserve a discount on the only paid upgrade apple has ever charged. sure if apple did offer 10.2 free or at a discount for those of us who recently bought a new computer or a retail box of 10 that would be cool, but apple doesnt owe it to you. complaining that a company isnt giving you something free or at a special discount is just really stupid. the fact that you cant hear how strange it sounds really confuses me. 'how dare they charge ME full price? who do they think they are? greedy bastards they should give ME a discount or offer it for free."

when os9 came out you didnt hear 8.6 owners complaining that they didnt get a free or discounted upgrade. what is special about osx that makes you think apple shoudl be obligated to offer discounts? just because they gave away 10.1 for free they should give every sucessive upgrade away for free? i am sorry, we all like free stuff and we all like getting discounts but it doesnt always happen and apple doesnt owe us anything. purchase their products or dont its up to you, they sell things, thats what they do. if when you bought your 800mhz powerbook you were under the impression that apple would give you 10.2 at any sort fo discount then you were not in touch with reality. i am sorry but that has NEVER happened in the past. perhaps this is your first computer and you didnt know how upgrades work but this is a pretty standard upgarde as far as apple goes. the only unusual thing about this upgrade is that apple gave the previous upgrade away for free (10.1).

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Look,
    I paid 29 for the public beta. 129 for OS X. Got 10.1 for FREE! 10.2 is completely different. If they called it OS XI would you feel any better. It is so different it is not even the same. Get over it. If you bought 10 - 10.1, then you knew what you were getting. Yea, it had some flaws, but it is stable as hell, and rocks in my opinion.

I will pony up the 129 for 10.2

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

nice to someone being level headed.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Alright AL...

I have been using computers for only about 24 years now. I have been using Mac systems for 14 years, and I have owned one since '97. The first one came with 7.5.1 and I got a free upgrade to 7.6. I updated to 8, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6 ($20 update from 8.x), 9 (first week it came out I purchased it). I got OS 9.x and OS 10.x with my first TiBook, then I went out and paid the full retail price for 10.1 (didn't want to wait for an update with the coupons).

With all the updates I have done over the years, systems I have purchased (Mac clone, G4 500MHz (APG), PB Lombard, PB Pismo, PBG4 500MHz, and now PBG4 800MHz) and support I have shown Apple I don't think that a reduced price update to 10.2 is out of the question.

In the past, the Software Coupons included with both systems and software have allowed you to update to the next full release of the operating system for a reduced price. Since Apple included those coupons with my latest PBG4 system, I should be able to use them to get OS X 10.2 for less then the retail price. THAT is reasonable to ask.

BTW, I have NOT asked for 10.2 to be FREE... I would run to the store to get it for $20 or even $50.

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

support you have shown apple. what a joke. you people crack me up. you think apple owes you something because you bought one of their products. you arent 'supporting' apple. you purchased a product they offered for sale. its not like apple is a charity case and you out of the kindness of yoru heart donated money to them. they had a product for sale and you bought it. they dont oew you anything.

alph what are you on? you proved my point by listing off all the upgrades in the past. the minor ones have been offered at nominal prices. the large ones have had no upgrade route. purchasing a mac just before the release of something new did get an upgrade route (just like the $20 upgrade of today), but buying a previous os or buying a new computer several weeks before does not provide an upgarde route. i will say it again. the ONLY thing different about this upgrade is that the previous one (10.1) was free.

sorry but this is wrong. those software coupons have NEVER given you a discount on a large release, only the smaller updates that have recently become free. perhaps you can think of it this way. in the past you would have used your coupons to upgrade from 10.1 to 10.1.5 at a small cost ($20). now those are offered free via software update and the only remaining updates (the big ones) just like before, are not offerred at any discount unless you recently purchased a machines (then is is $20). so you are not being reasonable at all.

those little coupons are really only for people who recently ordered a new computer. just because you have a bunch of old coupons does not mean anything, and that is no different than the past.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey AL, does the protruding brow interfere with your vision much???

For the hundredth time I do NOT expect the 10.2 upgrade to be free... How many times do I have to say it before it sinks into that thick skull of yours??? They could easily extend the reduced upgrade cost to people that have purchased systems THIS YEAR (since MWSF). THAT IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK, nor will it cut into their 'profits'. It would also be GREAT for their public relations, especially with them now charging for the previously free iTools accounts. On that count, 50% cost for the first year (to see if you want to keep it) is NOT outrageous. I will most likely pay for that, and then decide when the renew time comes along if I can justify the cost (if they put it to the $100 price).

10.1 was NOT free, unless you were lucky enough to get to a location that had a LIMITED number of free copies to hand out. People that had purchased 10.0 were able to upgrade for a reduced cost ($20 I believe). 10.0 to 10.1 WAS a significant upgrade, just as 10.1 to 10.2 is.

Something else, ALL of the OS X 10.1.x updates were available as FREE downloads. You did NOT need to use the coupons to update. BTW, I HAVE used the coupons that came with OS purchases to get the next update (non-minor one) for the $20.

Another thing, until OS X came along, the most you would ever have to pay for an OS from Apple was $100. Maybe if they kept the same price for OS X people wouldn't mind nearly as much.

21. mozez macrumors member

what the hell is your problem?

ok, i have seen on this thread many people yelling that $258 for x and $200 for xp, well, time to add something to that. one, when ms releases service packs, they are free, like win2k sp2, they will even ship you a cd for free! beyond that, you can order the full os for around 120 if you look online, for xp pro that is. and if you bought a computer within a year, they will upgrade for $20, (compaq, dell, hp, not gateway) and you people seem to think that jaguar is a whole new os, it isn't, i'm using 6c98, and yes it has speed improvements, yes it has some graphic changes, but it's still 10, not anything like 9 to x was, this is a service pack, it fixes things, it puts what was supposed to be in the origanol x, in this release. see, most of what jaguar is, is what we who bought x the day it came out in support of apple thought it could do, but we got a beta os, not the one we were promised. when 9.1 came out, no charge, 9.2, no charge, so why the charge here, you guys think this is some cosmically huge upgrade that deserves full price, you wanna charge $20 and check my receit for osx, fine. see, only 20% of mac people are using osx, 20%, so it's safe to say that if not for those 20%, osx would have failed, maybe jobs should look at all of us beta testers of osx 10.1.5, the real one, not like jaguar beta versions, and realize the pain we have all gone through and the fact that we trusted apple's new direction and paid for it. so, no, 129 for a upgrade, it's a service pack people, A SERVICE PACK!!!!!!!!!

22. mozez macrumors member

one last thing

2k to xp, two completely different looking and running oses, sadly 2k is more stable, but you can't compare 10.1.5 to 10.2 as the same thing, nowhere close! this is not changing the entire os into something new, it's the same os. software, you want to charge for software, i hav no problem with this, but apple can't claim it comes with all this free software, cause really, that's what you are paying for, not the os, but the software, so sell it seperatly, all i want is the bug fixes to my mac that should have been there a year ago. see, jaguar, is x fixed. speed improvements, well, that's somebody fixing code that somebody else did wrong in the first place. the speed of jaguar should have been the speed of x.

k, i'm done now... let the bashing begin

23. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Sheesh...do you folks really think you're going to change anything, or make your respective predicaments any more tolerable by complaining so much? :rolleyes:

you sound like a knitting circle.

24. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

is it possible you are really this stupid? hm. perhaps. i will try to be patient with you. first go back and read my post (yes the whole things). then when you realize what a fool you have made of yourself go back and edit your post to remove the personal insults. now that you have actually read my post you will see i very clearly understood you wanted a discount.

apple always charges full price for these kinds of upgrades. this is what you are misssing. im surprised someone who ahs owned as many macs as yourself doesnt yet understand apple's pricing. major upgardes of this sort are always full price unless someone bought a computer very recently. take for example 8.6 to 9.0. this is teh way it ahs always been. the coupons? (you seem obssessed with your coupons, i dont think its helathy) are for people who bought a computer recently. they get to upgrade for $20.

apple has given us free upgrades and updates (even you were m$ you would call them service packs) since 10.0 over a year ago. 10.1 which would normally have been a paid upgrade was given out free (if you did not know this and went and paid full price that is your fault not apple's). it is unreasonable to think that apple owes you anything.

and it is also unreasonable to personally insult someone on these forums, especially if you have not even read their post. before you rant about how dumb someone is perhaps you should read what they wrote. this seems to be a big problem of yours alph. you taken people without reading or understanding what they ahve written. if you are so inpatient that you can not read a short reply, then dont bother replying yourself. do not read two lines and assume you know what the person said, time and again you have appeared teh fool because you have not read or understood what someone wrote.

25. Draft macrumors 6502

I totally agree with AlphaTech. Apple should give a reduced price upgrade for those that bought 10.1.x within the last few months. No major discount, just something for their support.

Also, for the record, I think that AmbitiousLemon is an idiot.

That is all.

Draft