Start up Chime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melzieb, Oct 23, 2006.

1. melzieb macrumors newbie

I purchased a new MacBook a few months ago. The startup Chime that usually sounds when you start up the computer has not sounded in quite a while. Does this mean there is something wrong? How can I fix it so that it sounds when the computer is started? Can anyone lend me a hand with this?:confused:

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Just to elaborate When you have your speakers on mute or have external speakers plugged in but turned off, the startup sound will not chime. turn the speakers on you should hear it.

4. Makai747 macrumors newbie

I have the opposite problem.

The chime at start-up gets on my nerves. Is there any way of turning it off completely, other than having your speakers on mute?

Thanks for any help.

regards

LJ

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

If you mute your computer before shutting it down, it will continue to be on mute once turned back on - so you won't get the chime.

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I like the chime. Lets everyone know I have a Mac! :D

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The chime is not there simply to sound nice, it actually serves an important purpose. It indicates to the user that the computer has passed all the motherboard and ram tests which run every time you boot. If something is wrong, you will not hear a chime, or on older computers, you will hear a death chime.

I usually recommend people keep their speakers at least on very very low volume so you can still tell whether the chime is playing or not. For example, if you have a computer that makes fan and hard disk noises, but shows no video, it makes it easier if you can hear the chime so you know its not a problem with the motherboard, but rather another component like the video card.

If you leave your computer muted for every boot, then you will have more of a hassle determining the problem since there is no easy way to change the volume without being in the OS.

8. melzieb thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have stated the obvious, the speakers ARE on, I've made sure to shut the system down with the speaker on as loud as they will go

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

It took me and SBT aaaaages to work this out-but when we finally did, boy, were we relived :p

10. Makai747 macrumors newbie

The chime is not there simply to sound nice, it actually serves an important purpose

I didnt know that.

In that case, let it ring from the rooftops!!!

thanks for the info.

regards

Louis

11. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

You can get software to stop the chime, If you google it or search these forums as this question has come up frequently before.