start up disk too full????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drater, Jan 22, 2006.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I've been getting pop-ups on my computer telling me that my start up disk is too full. in the same message it tells me to delete some items...can anyone clarify what this means and where i should be looking to delete some items?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It means delete some items. You've got far too much stuff on there... back up some files onto CDs or DVDs from your home folder — try to make at least 4-5gb of savings.

Try removing all the additional languages with DeLocalizer or something similar like Monolingual.

You may get as much as a Gb back from that alone.

Read this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=169889

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go to Finder, click on your HD and see how much space you have free.

It should be about 8GB. If it's less than that, you need to do some clearing out.

The first thing to do is see what files you have on there and do some tidying. Is there anything you can archive off to CD/DVD/external drive rather than taking up space on your main drive.

Do a Spotlight search for files over 1GB just in case there are any odd system logs etc taking up space.

You might consider running Delocalizer to get rid of other languages on your applications. And if you don't use Garageband or iDVD, then clearing out the Garageband loops or iDVD themes, can save you about 2-3GB each

4. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

how do you spotlight things that have <1gb of space?...yes i know i'm retarded...thanks

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go to the Finder, go the File menu and choose 'Find'

A window will appear with various option available in it.

Just choose size from the drop down menu and then put in the criteria greater than 1 GB (from drop down)

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Click on your hard drive icon. Press Command + I. That will show you your Hard drive size and tell you how much space you have left.

The apple logo next to the space bar = command
    Letter I = i

:)