Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Northshore - Minnesota
G4 Quicksilver (933/768) running Tiger 10.4.3

Start-up drive: 60G WD (@95% capacity)
2nd: 120G Seagate Brracuda
3rd: 120G Seagate Barracuda
4th: 60G WD (external FW)

Home Office (G4 resides here) is protected by high-end, whole-house surge protection.

City-wide power failure shut down my MAC's (both loft office AND home office) some two days ago.

iMac G5 at the loft suffered no ill effects...

G4 at the "HO" is another story:eek: : Although all drives are intact and completely accessible, it refuses to start up under the primary drive (containing all my program files)!

Ran Apple's DiskUtilites (latest iteration, from Tiger 10.4.3, located on both the primary and 2nd drives) on the primary, verified & repaired permissions, verified & repaired the drive (no need, according to the "no error" message received), then did the same thing all over according to Apple's suggestion - from the Tiger install CD's DiskUtility program.

Same result: Start up progressed through the "starting MAC OS X" box, then stalls at the "blue screen".:(

Works fine, starting from CD/DVD or any other drive - just not the program-laden start-up drive!:mad:

A day before the power loss, I DID hear some unusual noise emanating from the Quicksilver ... which disturbed me, but doesn't seem to have affected the drive - since everything's still accessible and appears to be fully functional.

Can ANYONE offer suggestions as to how I might overcome the G4's, ah, "reluctance" to fire up on the start-up drive?:confused:

Thanks to all - in advance - for your time and consideration!:)

Steve

digame@mchsi.com or sphillips@wi-figuys.com

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
silly question whats your startup disk set as at the mo? run the restore cd

might be set to another drive or boot drive in question may be fubared

reinstall os ? on boot maybe

digame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Northshore - Minnesota
I've no problem setting the start-up to this problematic drive, the secondary (which works just fine), or to the CD/DVD drive...

It IS set to default to the primary (problem-prone) drive...

Thanks for the thought, though... think it might have something to do with the drive being so close to capacity?

Just can't figure out why everything ON the drive is accessible, and why DiskUtility shows everything copacetic?!

Must just be some miniscule, enbedded electronic glitch hanging it up somewhere inaccessible (or at least, unknown to me!)????

I'm hoping that some wizened MAC sage out there will have an instant "fix"..:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.