Start up faster on GF's Macbook than my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JHacker, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

When I first got my MBP, the startup time was amazingly fast. Recently, I feel like the system is hanging up a little bit once it gets to my desktop. My icons up top right on the toolbar take a few seconds to appear. On my gf's Macbook, however, they appear immediately (like my system used to). What can be a cause of this? I don't have any programs that start up when my system starts. How can I fix this?

Thanks-
    J

2. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

3. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

How fast of a processor do you have and how fast of one does she have? If she is using a Core 2 Duo and you only a Core Duo, then of course hers is going to boot faster. Also, computers slow down with age, its just natural wear and tear on the system. Try doing this:

Go to your Disk Utitlity which is in Applications -> Utilities. Then click on your hard drive and then click where it says Repair Disk Permissions.

See if that helps it speed up any.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might also want to search out update_prebinding ... which can drastically affect how fast some things startup.

5. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

Both are Core Duo - hers is 1.83 mine is 2.0ghz. I've repaired permissions several times. What do you mean by "search out?" Would reinstalling OS X without erasing my files have an affect?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go to support.apple.com and put "update prebinding" into the Search field.

Unless you know how to type in what in needed in the unix window.

7. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

I looked at this, and I don't think it has anything to do with my problem. I have a few things that startup like my Digidesign MBox and a VPN. Do these need to start up when the computer does? Or will they automatically load up when I go to use these programs/hardware? How can I disable these?

8. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

One thing ive noticed is that the number of items on the desktop changes how fast you start up to usability. Try putting all your desktop items in one desktop folder, that might help some. And of course, if have a clean desktop... no need.

Also, if you have any programs that open at login, they will certainly slow your startup time.