start-up problems with OS X 10.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Hi all. My girlfriend's powerbook is acting odd when it startrs up. When you turn it on, the first thing you see is a small folder in the center of the screen. It looks like the old version of a folder, all flat and 2-D. A little question mark pops up in the middle of it, and then it turns into a small face (Apple's normal little logo face). After that it starts up normally. So far this hasn't caused any problems yet, but I'm worried it will. Especially since I convinced her to get an Apple machine b/c of its reliability right before she went to Austria, and had the hard drive crap out on her immediately over there. Thankfully she's back in the states now, so it'll be a lot easier to get it fixed if it needs to be.
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Sounds to me like that you need to go to the control panels and select a start-up disk. My old iBook used to do this if I had not selected between booting up in OS9 or OSX. Now if the computer isn't dual-boot, then I don't have any idea what is going on. You can always repair permissions and zap the PRAM, but it sounds like what used to happen to me when I had both OSes on my computer and had not selected a start-up disk. Hope this helps.