starting a collection, what to get

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by funkywhat2, Aug 18, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Hey!
    I'm trying to start my way along to Apple stuff collection, and I kind know what I need to get, but do you guys have any ideas that are a must to have. All I have is a Newton MP 120, and I want to pick up a TAM, Rev. A iMac, a 128k, possibly some of the Mac-like Things stuff (PowerCD, the Interactive TV Box, etc) and lots of other stuff, once I get the room. But right now, I just want the essentials, but I'm not totally sure what those are. Any ideas?

2. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

A Cube. (That's the answer to your question in both your post and your signature)

irmongoose

3. macrumors 68040

Get a Pippin. And a Mac TV. And (even though it isn't Apple) a NeXt Workstation.

4. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Last week there was a link to a Apple shop which had rare stuff, like beltbuckles, wineglasses, 70ies and 80ies marketing stuff,...

I can't find it anymore, when I'm home I'll check my history and see if I can find it.

5. Retired

jefhatfield

a performa was apple's low cost, high selling machine in its time

also one of the graphic macs like dalmation or flower power since they died hard like the cube

20th anniversary edition mac is certainly a collector's item

lime ibook is a garrish statement in colored plastic macs

6. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Don't forget the Color Classic (the coolest old mac), the Quadra 840AV (fastest 68k mac), and a Quadra 630 (TV version came with a remote control). I was also gonna say the MacTV but asurace got there before I did :(

7. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

If you want to be a Die Hard..

You need to find a Lisa. ;)

What about the great MacPlus and MacClassic? Cheap to but, multiple uses, and they still look great! You should get a Newton 2xxx or a MessagePad 100 (OMP) too. There were 4 or 5 Set Top Boxes on eBay this week.

Maybe find a theme for your collection: you know, like obtaining one of each of the All-in-One Macs, or one of each of the different processors (although this might get expensive! 68ks, PPC 601,603, 603e, 604, 604e, G3, G4)

Or maybe an all portable collection. eMates are fun!

Anyway, I'm done.

Gus

8. macrumors 68040

The Sage iMacs may be rare in a few years. It was only sold on one model for one generation.

9. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Good luck with the TAM and 128k. You might as well pick up a Lisa and an Apple I while you're at it. ;)

Oh, and don't forget Apple's PowerCD player and QuickTake camera! Those would be pretty cool additions to your collection (and if I had the money and room to spare, I might do so myself.)

10. macrumors 68000

tjwett

just letting you know, i saw a Pippin on eBay a few days ago for $15. maybe it's still there. good luck.

11. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You did? Musta missed that. Did a search for "pippin" and "atmark" and couldn't find anything...

For the uninformed, here's some info on the Pippin:
    http://www.geocities.com/~compcloset/BandaiPippin.htm

12. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

Thanks!

Thanks Hemingray for that trip doen memory lane! I had almost forgotten about the Pippin and PowerCD. I remember the high hopes for both machines from Apple fans. I never even saw a PowerCD in person, but I remember thinking how cool it would be to get that PowerCD hooked up to a PowerBook (like the 190 or 180c). Ahh, those were the days. I even remember floppies! :D

Gus

13. macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, it was from a pawn shop somewhere. it had no controllers and no games and had a Buy it Now of $15.00. i can't find it either now. maybe sold already. oh well..

14. macrumors member

Are you going to collect hardware only? If not, you can go to www.redlightrunner.com, the have some cool (albeit in my opinion a little overpriced) posters.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I'm going to collect all sorts of things, in fact I have my eye on those shoes at Red Light Runner. Hopefully, with a bit more cash, I'll be able to get my hands on some of this stuff. Thanks a lot for the tips, everyone!:)