Starting a senior

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chubypig, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Aug 30, 2004
    I just set up my grandfather with a 20in iMac G5, however, he has absolutely no computer experience. As my sister and I were attempting to teach him some of the basics, we realized that it was going to be extremely difficult. I decided I'd ask you all for some advice:
    1. Are there any good learn to type programs for Mac?
    2. Are there any good large button keyboards for Mac?
    3. Does anyone have any basic advice on how to teach him the simple stuff (email, internet, etc.)

It's obvious that he has no real scope of the internet or how it really works. Each keystroke is a task of monumental proportions. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there a way to make the text in mail appear larger with out sending it in a huge sized font?
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Just a little advice: start with a very simple game (such as Chess or Solitaire) that your grandfather is very familiar with, just so he can get aquatinted with the mouse - this is usually one of the hardest parts for those who have never used a computer.

Once they master the mouse, it makes everything much easier.
  3. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2007
    If you have to carry out any maintenance remotely.

Also I'd set up a non admin account for him to use, so that he can mess around as much as he likes without causing too much damage. I think one of the best ways of learning how a computer works is learning how they don't work... Breaking them...

I think thats a wicked suggestion EricNau... I'd get him running itunes as well.
  4. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2006
    I find Chicken of the VNC to be a better program.