starting apps from the dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bartkarin, Nov 23, 2006.

1. bartkarin macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm using an iMac G5 10.4.8
    The Mac is in use almost all day ( 07:00-01:00 ) and I sometimes have to give a restart because simple applications like excel or word won't start when I want to open a document or even when I try to start them from the dock.
    I have installed all the latest downloads. I have never had this before with any of my other Mac's
    Anyone any suggestions?

thanks Bart

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Check for any unusual messages in the system log when you launch them, they might give you a clue as to the problem.

IIRC the app to view the logs is called 'Console' in the 'Utilities' folder.

3. bartkarin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks I've looked at it before but it's all jibberish to me I get things like:

===== donderdag 23 november 2006 16:40:09 uur Europe/Amsterdam =====
    Nov 23 16:40:13 computer-van-bart-duijvelshoff crashdump[432]: Microsoft Excel crashed
    Nov 23 16:40:14 computer-van-bart-duijvelshoff crashdump[432]: crash report written to: /Users/...../Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Microsoft Excel.crash.log

But in the logs folder I cannot find anything like Microsoft Excel.crash.log:(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you still have the Office trial on your computer? Even if it's in the Trash, it'll cause behaviour like this.