Starting my NEW job on Thursday!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Jun 13, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So, six months after losing my job (see Lost my job today) and going back to my old job (see Start my new (old) job today)... I finally get to climb the ladder and make it back to where I was!

I have been bidding jobs at my place of work (major airline), and I interviewed for a few of them in recent weeks. The job I finally was offered required me to have 2 interviews and 4 computer tests... but I outscored the competition, using Windows no less! I start Thursday... at my old pay rate! By successfully bidding a job in my old pay range within a six month window, I get to go back at my old pay rate instead of the minimum pay for the job! Whoo-Hoo!

I have been out on the ramp unloading and loading airplanes for the past 6 months. I started in the ice storm (see Atlanta airport ice storm), and ended in the heat of the summer, but now I get to go back to weekends and holidays off... and normal work hours. I may even be back in my same old cube, how weird is that!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all of your support during the past 6 months. I know I've been away a lot and have not posted much, but I have been here in spirit. I am hoping that my circumstances will allow me to post more often now.

Many of you have been very supportive of me, and I just thought I would share the news. Just FYI, I PM'ed Blue Velvet and clued her in first :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My sincere heart felt congratulations on your new job. Not bad at all getting to more or less start back where you left off. I'm impressed that you did so well using Windows.

When is your actual start date? ;)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Congratulations! We'll look forward to seeing you around more often again! :D

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good on ya', 'Dawg.

Do you get your seniority, pension and benefits reinstated to the same level too?

Just think, no more Samsonite...

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Congrats Dawg, I'm really pleased for you, I'm sure BV will be very happy.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nice. Let's hope your job sticks around for a long time.

7. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everything is restored... except maybe a little wounded pride, but I'll get over that in time. It was hard at times going over to the old offices in my ramp uniform and seeing familiar faces going about their business, but those days are gone now.

I'm b-a-c-k!

Of the 35 who were cut just on my floor right before Christmas... I don't know of ANY who have successfully bid out of their front line jobs. Some left the company, others are plugging away like I was. My heart goes out to them. It was a tough adjustment. Not that there is anything wrong with the front line jobs and the people that do them. Its just tough pursuing a career and having to start over. Its like playing the old board game "Chutes and Ladders". You land on the chute and slide way back, and have to climb the ladders over again. I was one of the lucky ones to make it back in one climb without having to go through several time consuming steps.

Thanks for all the "well wishes".

And BV was very kind in her response to me.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks!
    I'm hanging on to all of my ramp uniforms just in case :eek:
    I'm still paying for some of them :(
    Had to buy all of the winter gear for working outside, and that exceeded our allotment.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I tell you, I walk away from MR for an hour or so, and look what happens!

Congrats, MD! I'm very, very happy to hear your news. And I'm glad BV was happy as well. Nice that she's the only one to have been PM'd. Grrrr... ;)

10. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I figured you would be around... :rolleyes:
    didn't know when she would be... :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah yeah.... No worries. We all know where your heart is at....

But I went two months recently with a total of about 10 posts, and I've got daughter #2 due Thursday morning at 8:30AM (or earlier, if she so decides), so I'm glad you got you job when I was around to see. ;)

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, and to catch you up:

No G5 PowerBooks.

Apple's going to use Intel.

Ummm... that's about it for Apple news over the past six months (well, they did do a nice rev of the iMac).

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Congratulations! I'm glad you got your old job back. :)

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Congratulations - it's nice to see you had the perseverance to keep at it and win your job back. Hopefully the powers that be are rethinking why they made the decision in the first place.

At least you get off the ramps now, and not in July and August!

Hope we'll have the chance to hear more from you now that you've got more normal hours - I miss your postings.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Congratulations MD! Wow what a lesson for us all. You have been a stalwart and I'm glad this is working out, don't you have one child in college?
    You should throw a Big Dawg steak on the grill tonight, and howl at the moon! :p

16. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

My daughter graduated college with a business degree a few weeks ago. She is in Vermont for the summer working with the North American Mission Board (SBC) with the children's program for a church there. She plans to be a Baptist Student Union intern next year at a university in Alabama, then on to the University of Georgia to get her Master's in Sports Management.

My son completes his Master's in Biblical Studies this summer and hopes to be in Romania as a missionary eventually (once he finds a wife!).

Woof, Woof - Dawg

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Things are really coming together for you aren't they. Sounds like you have more than earned it too. You must be a proud papa Dawg (with somemore green in his pocket for the puppies).

18. toaster_oven macrumors regular

congrats! that's great news!

(i think we lost our jobs on the same week... thanks for your support too).

-to

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

'Dawg, I am so happy to hear you are getting back to your old job. You kept such a positive attitude throughout the whole experience, we all knew it was only a matter of time until those in charge recognized what they had in you.

I trust we can expect to hear from you more often now?