Starting Over, need help.

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyergs, Aug 10, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

Please bear with me, it's really hard for me to describe my current situation. Just looking for advice.

I'm 26 years old. I've graduated from a good art college with a degree in Graphic Design from manhattan. I've lived on and off between NYC and CT (my parents home.)

As i atteneded college I worked at the same time as a graphic designer/prepress/art director for the past 4 years.

I have also been with my girlfriend for the past 4 years. She graduated with a degree in finance two years ago. For those past two years she has lived with me mostly at my parents home.

She has family from onother continent that she plans on bringing to the states in the future. She has worked a few jobs here all of which she has disliked. I on the oher hand have worked the same job in hopes of gaining knowedge and experience in the field in which I thought I loved.

My parents are growing older, my father has been working on and off away in Florida, and because my mother is not too fluent in English I've stayed home to take care of bills and the house. My parents plan on selling the house within the next few months and move somewhere completely new. They want to start a business with me preferably in Florida, but they have not made a firm decision yet. Ultimately, as their only son, they support whatever I do.

OK...so here's the part I need help with.

My girlfriend and I have been considering moving out to California. We've been to LA and Sf a few times now and love it. Her oldest brother also lives there and established himself as an editor. I fell in love in SF during our last trip.

Our dream is to live in Caifornia and start over. I am willing to work hard but at the same time I'm confused as to if I really want to continue the work that I do (graphic design). I feel as if I'm seriously running out of time now, everyone is waiting to see what I do; my girlfriend, my family and my friends. I also want to propose to my girlfriend (who has stuck with me through all of this) within the next few months. We've also considered LA and San Diego because from what I understand, they have a cheaper cost of living.

If we move out there, I plan on bringing enough money for rent and cost of living for atleast 2 months. I will be selling my honda and we will be driving there in her car. If work doesn't come quick I can work sidejobs to make ends meet. Please understand that I'm not an "aspiring actor" in LA. I'm serious, and I have the devotion to make this happen. We will also have a dog with us that we love so much.

My main questions are. Is this a bad idea and are there any recommendations? Financially, what would be the best way to handle this situation? Is San Frisco too expensive? How hard is it to find a job before I move there? Is it easier to move there first before finding a job?

Please be honest and thanks for any advice. I asked this forum these questiosn because I knew I would get the best responses.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Dunno about the rest but I can probably help you with these.

It is expensive to live there although its not all that much when you're looking at other sought-after places in the US. http://craigslist.org is your friend here.

http://craigslist.org is your friend here too. Jobs seem to be plentiful out here suprisingly. If you look hard enough you should find one quickly.

It all depends on how much reserve ca$h you have presently, if you're close to being completely broke perhaps you should look first and then move. If ou have enough reserve ca$h on you to make it for about 3 months or so at least, go for the move. It should give you enough time to get a job.

Hope this helps,

-Ani

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

:D definitely recomend craigslist also, lifesaver here in dc... your one-stop shopping place- furnature, apartments, jobs, etc.

as for 'time running out'... don't forget that you're still very young in the grand scheme of things and have lots of time to try different things- if you make one decision and aren't happy with it- don't worry- plenty of time to try something new

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Los Angeles and especially San Diego have rather high costs of living, not lower. The 5th (maybe higher i forget the stats) most expensive city to live in the world is San Francisco, i have a good friend there that pays over 4k a month for a 2 bedroom condo with the all important parking spots included.

Keep in mind that youre talking about a state that a couple making $120,000 USD a year can barely afford a detached 2 bedroom 1 bath 900 sq foot single family home.

This is a decent article of the hell some people have to go through to even get a house in California http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8422350/ Take a look at these numbers also http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8475364/ the affordability index is so ridiculously low for most major metro areas in California.

San Diego Cost of living is almost near how ridiculously overpriced the SF/bay area is, even the east la, south central "USC" areas of LA are ridiculously overpriced, and you dont want to live there.

If i werent so settled with my family and job here in California i would be very tempted to move out of state, i certainly wouldnt be looking to move to California given how overpriced the state is and how high the cost of living is in comparison to other states in the US.

Ed