starting to regret switching to mac. i can't get ANYTHING to work. please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d wade, Jun 28, 2006.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

ok. at 1st i was really loving my new mac. i was playing with all the new toys and stuff. but now that i am ready to get settled, i have become more and more frustrated and want to throw this thing out the window.

i can't get anything to work at all. i downloaded some short funny video clips, and the quicktime player said it could not play them. so i downloaded divx in hopes it would be able to play. no luck there. so i looked for windows media player for mac (which they do have).. another strikeout. i can't even get the simplest of tasks to work. how do i get movie clips to play??

another thing.. i cannot figure out bit torrent either. i thought i had it figured out, but when it looks like i had the file ready to go, it does not connect. i tried using azuerus, tomato, mainline, and bits on wheels.. and i got nothing!

another thing too... sometimes my internet does not get a connection, even when i am plugged in directly to a modem. this is ridiculous! and right now, i can connect to websites through safari, but if i try on aol it gives me a blank page. i am so frustrated i am seriously thinking of returning it. i mean.. i spent over $2,000 and i cant get it to do the easiest things that were no brainers on windows.

PLEASE HELP!

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't know if I can help ya with the other ones, but to play .wmv files, you need flip4mac.

downloadable here.

Sorry your Mac experience isn't working out yet.. it'll get easier. :)

3. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

it said it could not be installed on intel based something or other. what can i dl to view .mmv files?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are connecting via Safari, there is nothing wrong with your internet (IP) connection or your Mac. Contact AOL for support on their software.

Can't help with the other vague "it doesn't work" items without significantly more detail from you.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You don't even say what kinds of video they are. What extension do they have, how do you expect help? Quicktime player will play all kinds of video, including WMV (if you download FlipForMac. Are you sure the videos are valid (by valid I mean whether they have the proper extension - some amateur video creators don't put the proper extension in their files). WMP for Macintosh has been abandoned by Microsoft. So, you will need flip4mac (which cannot at the moment be installed on Intel Macs- but it will be eventually-, or vlc (but VLC will not play WMV3 format).

Another paragraph without information... What is the kind of the file? What tracker do you intend to use for the file? And most importantly... are you behind a firewall or router? These are the kinds of problems that PC's have, too, so don't complain, just give us more information so that we can help you!

What do you mean by 'sometimes'? And by the looks of your sentence, 'even when i am plugged in directly to a modem' I assume that you are NOT directly connected to the internet but you are using a router. Again, we need more information about the type of your connection, and your router, if you have any.

Here is some ideas: If you have airport, you will surely need to open Airport Setup Assistant, which lies in Applications->Utilities in your startup disk. And if you have problems using your direct PSTN, ISDN or DSL connection, you can open the Preferences panel, choose 'Network', choose the type of your connection, and then press the 'Assist Me...' button on the bottom of the preferences window. This will bring the network assistant, which will guide you through the network setup process (2 clicks and you're up, Apple's Assistants actually do some job, in contradiction to Microsoft's :) ).

If you don't give more information, you can't expect to receive answers, or to solve your problems.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

For the video clips try Windows Media Player for Mac or VLC. If it's an Intel Mac Flip4Mac will not work yet (I think), so that's why you might need WMP.

Have you tried different torrent files because the one you're trying to download might just be a bad torrent. I've used Tomato Torrent a few times without any hassles. Give it another try with another torrent file.

What sort of internet connection do you have? Have you set up all of your network preferences etc? I also think I've heard that Macs and AOL don't always play nicely so this could be a possible reason as well.

Hope that helps a little. :)

7. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

i know i know. i am sorry i just feel so lost and this is such a new feeling of anxiety b/c i was never like this on a windows computer.

forget about the bit torrent and aol things for now. it was definitely a problem with aol and not safari b/c i am obviously on safari right now. aol sucks.

but the main problem is that i cannot get vids to play. i downloaded a .wmv file from a website. it was just a nonsense clip of like a croc vs a tiger or something like that. and the quicktime player did not work. so thats when i downloaded divx and tried to dl a windows player. i did download the flip4mac thing, but it said it is not compatible with intel based hardware. is there any other applications that will work on this computer so i can view videos?

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Read my post above yours.

9. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

downloading VLC now. i hope this works.

10. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

flip4mac is beta for the intel machines right now and works rather well... should be released to the general public soon. :)

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

If they're .wmv file you'll have better luck with Windows Media Player.

12. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

There is a window media player for Mac. Just google for it. While your at it, try mPlayer. It works when other players fail.

I'm not having any trouble with Azureus. I suggest you read the help file. It's not that hard but you have to do a bit of reading to get the low down.

Stop comparing Mac to Windows. The software is different. Remember, you have to give something up to come over to the Mac. Most of the world is on Windows, so that is what most everything is optimized for. You trade off ease of use, a nice OS, no virus' and having a pretty nice looking computer when you come to Mac. It's a pretty fair trade. If you expect anything different, then you should go back to Windows. You might also try reading the manual.

13. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

VLC didnt work either. i have now downloaded the WMP for the 3rd time...
    it downloads as a .sitx

i have no idea how to install it. am i doing something wrong?

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You should just be able to open the .sitx and there will be an installer in there. If it's not opening, it may be because you don't have something like StuffIt Expander to decompress it (the reason I say this is because my intel mac didn't). Download that and then try to open it to install WMP.

15. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

yeah i def needed the stuffit thing. i went to dl that earlier, but for some reason i thought it costs money. wmp is installing now. hopefully it will work.

i really do appreciate you helping me out. i know i must have sounded like a whiny little you-know-what.. but it was b/c i was so frustrated. i do really love my mac :D [when it works hehe]

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK folks, we're confusing the guy here, lets just calm down for a second.

d wade, what you are experiencing is one of the few real problems with the Intel switch. Currently there are no Intel versions of software designed to play wmv files. It sucks yes but a solution is coming very shortly.

Windows Media Player for Mac is three years old and hasn't been updated by Microsoft since 2003. Because of this the installer comes as a .sitx file, this was a popular compression format for the Mac when WMP:mac came out but has since been super-ceded by the standard .zip format. However, because MS haven't updated the software, it still comes in .sitx form.

To open .sit files you will need a program called Stuffit Expander, this used to come standard on Macs until the release of 10.4 as there were so few apps that came in .sit form since .zip took over as the standard.

A while ago, a company produced a Quicktime codec plugin called Flip4Mac that allowed for most but not all wmv files to be played through Quicktime (more types than WMP:mac because it was new). It was originally shareware and cost US$10. Microsoft has recently bought this company as is now promoting it the official (and free) replacement for WMP:mac.

And here lies the problem, Flip4Mac is not yet a Universal application, there have been two beta releases of the program suggesting a release is not far away. Until then wmv will have to wait, WMP:mac will run in Rosetta but from what I've heard the experience isn't exactly optimal.

This wmv problem is just a small sample of what many professional Mac users are suffering with respect to Adobe and their lackadaisical approach to producing a Universal version of their Creative Suite software. Pros are looking gleefully at the prospect of a vastly more powerful computer but while Photoshop has to run through Rosetta it remains a financially silly choice to move over to Intel.

Patience son, this too will pass.

17. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

well, in good news, i actually got the .mwv file to play through wmp:mac. hopefully soon i can just get the flip4mac for intel when it is ready so i can keep quicktime as the default player.

thanks alot guys for all your help and being so patient with me, when i was so impatient with the new comp.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Glad to hear it all worked out. :)

I understand it can be frustrating getting used to how to do things, especially considering all of the things Chundles mentioned. Just have a bit of patience, get advice here and you won't regret getting a Mac.

19. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

d00d, quit whining so much

OS X is not just XP with prettier interface. it will take some time getting used to it.

20. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That's hardly constructive, considering all of the issues in this thread have already been sorted out and the differences and frustrations with switching explained. Not to mention the OP has already admitted to and apoligised for "whining". :)

21. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

yeah, i was quick to reply, but the original message sounded so kindergarten like that i couldnt resist but post something... noneetheless i'm glad the original issues have been sorted out for the OP and that he/she can enjoy their mac.

22. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

For a switcher, you have to be carefully with your mac experience... first you need to stop thinking about the windows applications. Second, like windows, there are add-ins that you need to installed to you mac for certain media files to play but in general, OSX cover most of the standard format.

your quicktime is missing majority of the plug-ins that require to view other video format, and for intel-mac, these add-ins are still under development, best option is using VLC like other forum members suggested.

being a switcher, is like starting computer all over again, everything you learn from Windows is not useful under OSX, is just a matter of times which you understand OSX simplify your daily rountines... but remember, stop thinking about windows apps... the more you think, the more you dislike MAC experience.

23. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

do a search for media player download problem.look for the topic I started and you will find very good step by step instructions. If you can't find the topic you can also search for ferretboy and its about 10 lines down. I wish I could cut and paste.

24. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

do a search for media player download problem.look for the topic I started and you will find very good step by step instructions. If you can't find the topic you can also search for ferretboy and its about 10 lines down. I wish I could cut and paste.Just look for my topic.don't worry eveything wil be fine.

25. Greebazoid macrumors regular

making the switch

Shew - making the switch is quite something.

After years and YEARS on a PC (starting with DOS back in the Dark Ages) I switched from PC to MAC in April with a core duo Mac Mini.

My advise (should anyone care) is to keep a PC for a while. I have the luxury of a file server that sits quietly humming under my desk with the mac mini sitting silently on my desk. To avoid uber frustration, I try first to do what I need to on the mac: it the task was urgent, and after an attempt or two I couldnt get it to work, I'd do it on the PC.. and then later, when time was less pressing, I'd work-it-out on the Mac.

At first, the Mac Way seemed strange, but after a short time, I realised they are in fact, much much more intuitive and faster (except that daft-only-resize-a-window-in-the-bottom-right-corner - whats that about?) and now the PC feels clumsy and clunky.

So - D Wade - take a few deep breaths and smile at your mac.. it will become your best friend

:D