Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
d wade said:
VLC didnt work either. i have now downloaded the WMP for the 3rd time...
it downloads as a .sitx

i have no idea how to install it. am i doing something wrong?

VLC won't play many Windows Media files on the Mac. This is because no one has made an open source WM9 decompressor yet. The only reason VLC plays them on a Windows machine is because VLC will use the WM9 codec that is included with Windows Media Player.

Glad to hear you got WMP:mac installed. When I got my Macbook that confused the hell out of me too.

Yeah, the basic version of Stuffit is free. I think it only lets you decompress files.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
squirrelist said:
Yeah, the basic version of Stuffit is free. I think it only lets you decompress files.
You won't need to do any compression with stuffit products, since OS X since Panther and above have the ability to compress and decompress files using .zip by default.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Sorry to hear your Mac woes. Be prepared for lots of "Windows Media" branded things to not work in OS X - even when Flip4Mac comes out for Intel. Windows Media, as the name suggests, is not really intended for use with Mac OS X.

By the way, be absolutely sure to delete Windows Media Player once the Intel version of Flip4Mac comes out. Flip4Mac is recognized by Microsoft as the replacement for WMP. Windows Media Player for Mac is so old and outdated, and is pretty terrible to begin with.

Once you have the Intel version of Flip4Mac installed, you don't want files accidently opening the old 2003 version of Windows Media Player.

Soulstorm said:
You won't need to do any compression with stuffit products, since OS X since Panther and above have the ability to compress and decompress files using .zip by default.

He clearly said he has a .sitx file to decompress.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Chundles said:

d wade, what you are experiencing is one of the few real problems with the Intel switch. Currently there are no Intel versions of software designed to play wmv files. ...
Not true.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
WMV files suck..

Popwire does have a good WMV 9.0 UB plug-in.

I've been using the beta of Flip4Mac and it works ok on websites..

Please try and get used to the way OS X works..
It is different than Windows but in my opinion better and after you get stuff sorted out you will start enjoying a better experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.