StarTrek

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacMaster, Aug 4, 2002.

?

Are you a trekkie?

1. Yes I'm a trekkie!

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. StarTrek's ok/semi-trekkie

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I only watch the movies

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. I hate StarTrek!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Thought this would be fun...
    All right discuss away!

[edit: These are the ones I like:
    original StarTrek
    StarTrek:TNG was ok
    DS9 and Voyager really rocked!
    I hate enterprise! They should kill it and start a new one!
    Going back into the past was a horrible idea!]

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I hate Enterprise.....but I love the rest of em

especially DS9....yeah

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Well, I don't know what I would call myself. I like watching TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. I never really got into the TOS. I guess I like the newer ones because, well, they're newer. The stuff on there are just.. cooler... i suppose. I also liked the movies from the TNG cast and am looking forward to Nemesis. So...... which category would I fit into? I don't go to conventions or dress up as a klingon when I go see their movies, etc.... I just like watching the show..

4. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

I like calling myself a trekkie because I really like most of the shows/movies, but I don't do stuff like that either...

I probably should have made it multiple choice...If a mod could make that change that would be nice!

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Oh yea, I'm a trekkie. Especially TNG and DS9. :D

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Definitely a trekkie.

I'd have to say my favorite series were Next Generation and Voyager.

I'm a regular convention attendee (one a year) but never wear a costume.

I even donated a sizable chunk of my income to charity to obtain a private tour of the Voyager set, and watch a scene being filmed!!! :cool:

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

ugh. voyager. That was the worst show ever! Ds9, TNG and enterprise kick ass tho

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

IMHO Voyager was the BEST ever Star Trek series, and is 3rd on the list of my favourite TV shows (1. RD, 2. Friends 3. Voyager).

Ensign

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i wouldnt say i hate it, but i think it wasnt the best. but it was all janeway's fault. the rest of the cast was very good. problem i had with janeway is she never consulted with her crew. all the other captains ask their crew what to do. picard even had the lil conference room where they would discuss things. all the other captains get advice and let their crew solve problems. too often with voyager it was janeway to the rescue. she went to her room and solved the problem all by herself just because she was so great. pretty poor in my decision. all the other captains have good style (well kirk is a joke, but i mean the modern shows). picard was probably the best captain. but you have to like sisko (sp?) he was bad ass (he turned into a freakin' god!). and the quantum leap guy has always been cool.

the new one has problems but all the series did in the beginning. im sure they will sort things out (i mean take a look at season one of tng! or voyager before 7)

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I used to watch Star Trek, but after Voyager got stupid, never got into DS9 and Enterprise is even worse, I'll probably only watch the movies - which haven't really been great - just a bigger version of the series.

What I think happened is that its been going on so long that they've run out of ideas - that or all the stories are similar enough to other, only the characters are different.

D

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

3 words, 7 of 9

I used to watch voyager and the next generation, the landlord of my local pub at the time used to let us stay in till gone midnight watching it on the big screen TV.

I'm not too keen on enterprise though, it's okay but I think they should just make the odd film every so often and can the TV shows.

The funniest thing is when I went to see one of the films a few years ago and we'd be drinking all afternoon, I tend to get a bit imature when I have a little too much and I was having a laughing fit when someone said "Sir, the borg have adapted, to them it's like we're firing blanks!" My mate's didn't stop laughing at me for that outburst for half a year. I was only 19 or something though.

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

voyager was the same old recipe week after week. They would meet a new alien species, have an argument, and maybe someone gets kidnapped, but in the end, there's a pathetic little fight sequence and voyager gets on its way. If the ratings ever go down, the producers drag in the borg. blah blah blah. Personally, I think voyager ruined the borg. In TNG the borg were all powerful and mysterious, but in voyager, they're just pathetic.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DS9 is my favorite ST show. I loved TNG when it was on, but I just can't seem to watch it anymore (I think I enjoyed DS9's darker plots, and killer story arc so much I can't go back to the "lighter" TNG episodes). I never got into Voyager, and I like the episdoes of Enterprise I've seen. And, of course, you have to dig Kirk, Spock, McCoy (rest in peace), and ships pulled around on strings. ;)

Lethal

14. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

My GF's Mother went to school with Kate Mulgrew, she even has her signeture in her yearbook, I've tried to buy it off of her but she won't budge. it's still cool knowing that she went to school with the captain of voyager.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The original was pretty bad. TNG had its moments despite Picard and Riker. Dr. Crusher would have been a better captain. She wasn't afraid of the phasers.

DS9 had a lot of science and investigation,which was interesting to me, and then, threw it all away to become a soap opera.

Voyager had more to offer of the unknown since the Romulans and Cardassians had become stale. Janeway was forceful, especially for a scientist, and, while she didn't spend all those waking moments conferencing, she struck a good balance.

Enterprise must have been hard to plan since it fits into a niche already past. It shows a lack of enthusiasm and ummm....well...no one else is too enthusiastic either.

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

17. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you serious 'spock'!?:eek:

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

original series still has the legend to it

the new stuff is ok, but not the same

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

20. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

If I remember from my Mass Media Class Right( all of six months ago) William Shatner was the first white man to kiss a black woman on tv, a.k.a kissing uhura. That puts it in the history books right there. TOS had much more original ideas and "aliens" then any of the other ones, i did like DS9 for all its drama.

21. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

voted star-trek is ok/semi trekkie, 'cause there wasn't button that said : 'used to watch when little, but stopped watching when you knew that Mr Spock's Vulcan paralize hold was fake' :D

22. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

actually I guess most of you know that I am a Voyager fan because of my username, I LOVE VOYAGER and TNG, I have a site on them at:

http://brooklineuk.com/gw/startrek.html

Quite a few parts of my site are not working at the moment because the flippin NT server is courupting my images :)

Ensign

23. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Endgame of Voyager is really terrible..I mean..transphasic torpedoes? WTF?
    Besides,they broke every rule in Star Trek continuum with Voyager,and all episodes have those cheap,sweet happy ends..
    TNG is legend,DS9 is IMHO best ST show ever! Voyager goes after DS9.
    As for Enterprise,I am not considering it as Star Trek... If Gene saw it,he'd be pissed off!

24. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I haven't made my mind of Enterprise yet, I kind of like it but I prefer Voy and TNG, ENT will eventually get into my mind and I will love it but probably not for a while.

Ensign

25. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

And the ending!
    Janeway: "Mr. Paris, what's our location?"

Paris: "right where we expected to be"

then voyager blows up the borg sphere and flys out. !!!?????!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

That was easily the worst ending i've seen in years. The writers must've been flying too close to the moon from the stuff they were smoking to give a damn about the script:)