startup boot problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pidike, May 11, 2006.

1. pidike macrumors newbie

I changed the startup device in my mac (powerbook G4) to my external firewire harddrive. anyhow is not booting and know I want to boot in my regular os x hard drive instead of that stupid linux crap i was trying anyhow how do i boot back into os x as my startup disk. Also my built in cd rom drive does not work but I do have an external one. can you guys please help

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you unplug the external drive, it should boot straight into the OS installed on the internal drive, depending on how you changed the boot drive sequence. Did you use System Preferences to make this change? :)

3. pidike thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but itried that

when i tried that it still did not boot the regular os and i did use the system preferences panel

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Hold down the option key while booting - this should let you change the drive.

5. pidike thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

nonetheless, it turns out that my video broke and i would to have to replace the motherboard, but i could still use my mac if i use an external display for the time being.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Did hardware test tell you it was broken? It could be something simpler, if you don't mind rooting around in your laptop (like a bad feed [sort of like a chord, buit smaller] or something)...