Startup goes from instantaneous to 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 14, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I ordered Bellsouth DSL the other day. Upon installation of the DSL software, my computer takes a good 30 seconds or more to fully load the desktop. It's weird. Before, when the desktop appeared, the menu bar appeared instantly. Now, it loads the icons on the right side of the menu bar about one ever 5 seconds, and once that is done, it loads the menu bar itself. (Until the menu bar is loaded, it's transparent) Any reasoning for this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just wait, somebody will stop by and say:

"Upon installation of the DSL software" = My computer slowed down.

hmmm...

Maybe it's the software you loaded. ;)

Check the CPU usage.

But they could also be using a .kext file.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"Upon installation of the DSL software" - did you try it without installing this? It's the most likely cause of your problem, and was most likely completely unnecessary. My DSL works straight away with a fresh OS X install (or Windows, Linux, BeOS, install for that matter).

Bellsouth? I didn't know they still existed. They vanished out of NZ years ago (I think they were bought by Vodafone).

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You must be psychic :D

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, they ask to install the software because it automatically configs OS X and has login stuff and programs to check the modem and stuff.

Let's say I wanted to uninstall it...how would I go about this anyway?

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Nevermind!

In the process of trying some spare ram I had, I disconnected the ethernet cable. When I booted the computer without the cable plugged in, it went back to it's instantaneous state. My assumption is that those 30 or so seconds are spent initializing the DSL modem.

Thoughts?

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you're thinking of a different company.

8. jtown macrumors 6502

Their software serves one purpose and one purpose only. That purpose is to make you think you can't change providers without making changes to your computer. Anything it does (if anything) is completely unnecessary. The modem is totally autonomous and needs no input from the comptuer to do its job. Your operating system has all of the tools necessary to access the internet through the modem. There is no need to install any software from your ISP.

Remove it.

If you don't know how and instructions weren't provided, call your ISP's tech support line and tell them that their software is interfering with the operation of your computer and demand that they walk you through the process of removing it.