Startup goes into console (full screen) - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by parkds, Apr 29, 2005.

1. parkds macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2003
    I just installed 10.4 on my 1ghz DP G4. I did an upgrade install and then restarted. Now every time I start up the computer, the boot screen starts up and then disappears and the console window fills the screen. I cannot get the computer to start up normally.
    Any ideas on how to solve this?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Hrm... Well, you could always try old DOS commands like RUN, DIR, or...I don't remember any more. :D

But seriously. What does text say? Maybe we can help you then?

Also... Did you ever install that applet that prevented you from changing the MASTER password on the machine without the original MASTER PASS?
  3. crzyltlman macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    I have just now encountered the same problem, I think.

I had installed Tiger using Archive and Install / Preserve User Settings. I have been using it for a more than a day now. I have been able to successfully restart my 1GHz Powerbook G4 several times.

Just now, I was trying to restart, and iTunes wouldn't exit. Force quits didn't work. So I had to hold down the power button until it did a hard shutdown.

Now, whenever I type my password into the GUI login screen, it goes blank, then drops to Darwin/BSD console mode. It then prompts me to login with username/password, which I can do and it puts me into my home directory. But I'm in console mode!

How do I get back to using the GUI?

UPDATE: I booted from the Tiger install DVD and did an upgrade install so I wouldn't lose anything, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Shew.