Startup isnt' working anymore.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gakor, Apr 14, 2006.

1. gakor macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm completely new to this forum and I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so sory if it ain't in the right place. If its not the right place, just move it...
    So here's my problem:

I have a much older macintosh. I have a "Macintosh TV", here's a link with a bit of info:
    http://www.lowendmac.com/500/mactv.shtml

I'm a PC user and I'm really lost. The owners manual is nowhere to be found. All I'm really using this mac for is the TV, and it was working fine until today I moved it. I plugged it in and started it up, but during the loading it stopped. In the middle of the screen there's what looks like a picture of a white floppy disk with black outlining. In the middle of the disk theres a question mark ( ? ) and its blinking. Nothing happens after this. Whats wrong? What do I do? Someone told me that I need a disk or something but all I have is the computer. Is there a way to download the files that I need, if I need any? Remember, this is an old mac. I think it came out in 1995.. Not sure though. Please help, its driving me insane!

2. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

This kind of thing kind of happened to my eMac. A
    "Finder" logo (or possibly just a folder, it was a long time ago) appeared on my screen at startup with a "?" on it. It turns out I had no operating system because the HD crashed. I had to get it replaced but everything worked fine afterwards.

However, I had AppleCare and am assuming you do not (after 11+ years). If it is the HD, you might be able to fix it yourself but it might be easier just to get a TV.

3. gakor thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, but I gotta pay for that. This isn't MY TV, its for my 8 year old sister. She's gunna get a better one, but for now this will have to do. Anyways, your saying I need a new HD?

4. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

I'm not positive since I don't know a lot about that model, but that could be your problem. It could also just be that you need a re-install of the operating system, by chance?

5. gakor thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll try that. Thers just one problem: I have NO idea how. I have no CD's or Floopy Disks anywhere. Maybe I have to downlaod? But even if I get a download, how would I get it onto the mac?

6. gakor thread starter macrumors newbie

Common! I know sombody can help me. Please, I'm desperate. What do I do?? :(