Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
In my startup items i am wondering what these things are:Microsoft AU daemon (office), ITuneshelper, LCCdaemon, can i shut any of these down?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
iTunesHelper exists purely to assist with iPod synchronization, as far as I know. Why Apple implemented it the way it did is beyond me.

Microsoft AU daemon (office) is clearly related to Microsoft Office for Mac, but since I don't use Office, I have no idea what it does.

LCCdaemon? I haven't a clue what that one does or where it came from.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Logitech Control Center

A quick Google search shows that LCCDaemon is an app that Logitech uses for your system to recognize their mice and keyboards. If you're using a Logitech device, you'll need to keep it. If not, ditch it.

Not sure why the MS Office one is there. I have Office X, and it hasn't added any startup items. Dunno.

:)

[Oops - looks like Scotty beat me to the punch. Sorry!]

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jsalzer said:
A quick Google search shows that LCCDaemon is an app that Logitech uses for your system to recognize their mice and keyboards. If you're using a Logitech device, you'll need to keep it. If not, ditch it.

Not sure why the MS Office one is there. I have Office X, and it hasn't added any startup items. Dunno.

:)
Intuition tells me it's specific to Office 2004, which you don't have (and neither do I).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
trainguy77 said:
In my startup items i am wondering what these things are:Microsoft AU daemon (office), ITuneshelper, LCCdaemon, can i shut any of these down?

The Windows version of MS Office has a painful little extension that constantly indexes the contents of the disk drive in order to quickly find things. I've always deleted the thing because it kills the machine's performance.

You might try making a note of it and where it exists and then, try turning it off to see what happens.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have the MS one and itunes helper as well, i don't pay them much mind and i never noticed any slowdown because of them, but then again i hardly ever shut my computer down, i just put it to sleep

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
yes i have a logitech mouse. But it always takes about 5 minutes after boot to find the device even though it works just fine with all its functions. lol. I do have office. I just did a search for Daemon on my computer and found that the only thing that is made my microshaft is something called "Alerts Daemon" i am guessing this is it. So it would do the office alerts, that run in entourage. I am going to kill it.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
the office one is related to entourage ... i believe it is what reminds you of upcoming events.. etc.. you're probably safe ditching it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.