startup old mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by laxwy, Dec 21, 2002.

1. laxwy macrumors newbie

i've got an old workgroup server 7350/180 running os 8.1 that's functional enough for my mother's purposes.....

anyway.... there's an extension in the extensions folder (obviously) that's not allowing the computer to start up completly.

my question is how to start this old mac up with extensions disabled or from a cd....

thanks!

2. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

To start up w/ the extensions hold down the shift key,
    to start up from a boot (os 8) disk put it in the tray restart the machine while holding the C key.
    Make sure when you do either of them that you hold down the key for as long as you need, ie when the desktop shows up.

Good luck and have fun!

PowerBook g4 1ghz

3. laxwy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Flickta macrumors 6502

Try starting up with the spacebar pressed. This should bring you straight to the extension manager during startup. (And shift should work. Maybe it is something wrong with the keyboard? :) )

5. Steradian macrumors 6502

really?

I work w/ old system all the time and i remember thouse keys working humf... well....You got me, like stated above do you have another keyboard??? Hope that it.
    p.s the last time i played w/ an old system was last week, i upgraded the OS on a Performa 6116 w/ a486 and maxed out in RAM from 7 to 8.5 but then again...

PowerBook G4 1ghz

6. laxwy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok well for whatever reason the C worked today and didn't work last night so i got it all figured out, but thanks for the space suggestion. i didn't know about that one. i'll remember it for the future though