startup sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Feb 1, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

So I heard rumors of a program or patch or something like that which can contoll the volume/turn off completly the said sound in the subject. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me where to find this. Thanks!

- Trev

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Here is a discussion on that subject. There have been many. The startup sound is part of the POST (power on self test) and helps identify the problem if something is wrong. Plugging an earphone jack into the sound out port definitely works. How often do you start up anyway?

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My Mac mini doesn't make the startup sound anymore :S It just... stopped a while back. I miss it :(

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If you mute the audio in osX and the reboot... the chime doesn't happen.

Right?

I recently did this on a new macbook pro.... and I thought it worked.

Am I wrong?

6. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I had the same problem with my iMac a while back. Someone here told me to reset the PRAM, or something like that. :)

I think it works, not sure though.

7. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

I used *Psst* for a while, and it worked:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Psst.shtml

Cant say I've had much luck with just *turning the volume down* when I'm shutting down, the volumes always back when I re-boot. Could be just me.

Changed my speakers to Klipsch Promedia which have a master switch--so I just turn the speakers off now (esp. if i want to avoid to waking the house with midnight reboots) :D

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i guess the muting thing works because I sometimes hear it and others not. I do mute my laptop sometimes.

9. FOG Lite macrumors newbie

Oddly enough my Mac Pro started making the startup sound after several months of nothing. It's very annoying since I have always kept headphones jacked in for that very reason and now even that doesn't work. If I don't figure it out soon I'm going to go in there and smash the little speaker.:mad: