startup time $999 ibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by davidgilmour, Aug 25, 2005.

1. davidgilmour macrumors member

Hi,

I am gonna buy a $999 ibook 12 inch model. How long is the startup time?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Mine is 7 seconds counting with Mississippi's. Computer in sig. Should be same as the stock, maybe a little faster because of more HD space left after you put all your stuff on.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

WHAT?! My iBook G3 500 started faster than 1 minute. :D

5. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

Really? That is very very slow! My PC ( :D ) starts up in 30 secs. Don't tell me that Bill Gates knows it better than Steve !

6. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

My iBook 500 starts up 10.3.9 in 37 seconds. One to two minutes is if you have a 2400c with Xpostfacto!

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

folks- i was ESTIMATING startup time... mostly wondering why anyone would care in the first place?

8. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

9. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

I agree, who cares? It's pretty dang fast. My Macs start up way faster than my old Dell laptop that was only 8 months old.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I never switch off my Macs, only restart when have to. This iBook will just sleep!

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Count me in on the "who gives a ****" idea. If you're going to base your decision off of startup time for a machine you should only power off once in a blue moon, then I don't know what to say...

12. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

It is important to me because I wanna use it basically as a dvd player in the bedroom and play some games on it (macmame ). And if I can get a way to get it to work with my PC (P4 2.6 512 120GB) for infrared internet I will use that too. And I might use it as a musicplayer when I am on holiday.

That's all. And I hate PC's that take 5 minutes to start up (windows 95...)

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Our point is that you'll never have to shut down your Mac. So the time it takes to start up from the time you open the lid of your iBook should be less than 3 seconds. If you shut down your iBook, it shouldn't take more than a minute to boot up from a cold off state. So the idea of startup time is a non-issue especially since you only HAVE to boot your iBook up is if you shut it off or the battery dies, or everytime there's an OS update or with some software installs, but not many.

14. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I see. So I put the ibook on 'standby'. How long can it be on standby before the battery is out?

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have left my ibook on sleep with a depleted battery for a week then hooked it up and it saved the state perfectly, it saves battery to just use sleep as it uses so little power.

i have never restarted my ibook other than for an update that needs it, current uptime is from when 10.4.2 came out.

16. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I got a 12" ibook last week, and one of my favorite things about it is the way you can close the lid, with a bunch of apps open, and open the lid later and be working in 2-3 seconds, with all of the apps up and running. Compare that with my XP toshiba notebook-- when I close it it "hibernates," (although sometimes it just stays on :confused: ), and when I reopen it it takes 20-30 seconds to restart (Black screen.... Starting Windows... l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ...... Windows XP...... login...... 15 seconds of dead time while the system tray loads.... , etc. And if I leave any apps open, there is a 50% chance they will crash after waking from "hibernation;" except for firefox, which will crash/lock up 90% of the time, requiring a control alt delete "end." Maybe it was just the toshiba, but in my experience win XP is horrible on a laptop-- the power management, the "sleeping," and the ability to sleep with apps on are all broken (I never had any issues with viruses or spyware; anyone with half a brain can hold those off). OSX really shines on a laptop.

17. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

ok, thanks. One more question before I 'hand over the cash'.
    Does the ibook have infrared internet possibilities, so when I am abroad and I am in a 'hot spot' I can internet for free?

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

iBooks don't have IR. WiFi is not sent through Infrared, IR is dead except for in remote controls, Palm devices and some phones. You'll have built in WiFi via 802.11b/g which is what all wifi spots use. As for sharing internet from you PC, it would be far easier to pick up a wireless router like an Airport Express or other router.

19. California macrumors 68040

California

Don't know about iBooks but they took the infrared thing off Tibooks half way through the run of the machine -- when they came out with the DVI powerbooks in 2002. I may be dumb, but how do you get on the internet through an infrared connection? Don't know what this is.

20. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My Powerbook takes a good minute and a half to start up. I definitely don't see how these iBooks are starting as fast as they say. I even have a 5400 RPM drive in my PB.

22. lopresmb macrumors 6502

wow, win 95, and I thought I had a crapy computer....it doesn't work, but at least it has XP.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I would expect no more than 50 seconds on a new iBook...

24. Makosuke macrumors 603

They're probably not counting the time between when you push the power button and when the spinner on the grey apple screen appears. Either that, or they're only counting the blue progress bar.

Technically, the time until the spinner appears is doing a RAM check and other hardware stuff, so it doesn't really count as part of the OS's startup time, but it can take a bit, particularly with a lot of RAM. My G5 tower, for example, probably takes 30 seconds from the time I push the button until the spinner appears (lots of RAM), but it's only 5 or 10 more seconds for the OS to actually load from there--the blue progress bar part is at most a second or two.

It's basically the difference between the RAM check and all the other scary-looking text-on-black stuff that you see when you turn on your PC and the time it takes Windows to actually load. Of course, even when Windows appears to have loaded you're still waiting around for another 30 seconds or more until it actually finishes loading whatever services keep you from doing anything when you first see the desktop, and that's rarely if ever an issue on a Mac--when it's up, it's up.

25. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Are y'all that say you have a startup of only a few seconds talking about restart, waking from sleep, or cold start after a complete shutdown? I have a pimped out PowerBook (See my profile) and a cold start takes (From pressing the button to everything, including AirPort, functioning) takes about 45 seconds. From sleep, yeah, takes about 5-10 seconds, restart about 20 seconds.