Starving Greek children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Apr 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

“When it comes to food insecurity, Greece has now fallen to the level of some African countries” -- Dr. Athena Linos.

This Is the Reality of Austerity: Greek Children Are Starving
    Derek Thompson Apr 18 2013, 10:43 AM ET

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/this-is-the-reality-of-austerity-greek-children-are-starving/275105/

More Children in Greece Are Going Hungry

By LIZ ALDERMAN
    Published: April 17, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/world/europe/more-children-in-greece-start-to-go-hungry.html?hp&_r=1&

"Austerity" sounds good if you imagine wealthier Greeks having to cut back on their Mercedes habit. But, apparently the austerity plan is not working out quite like they imagined it.

2. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. Guest

eric/

4. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've seen sources saying that Greece is about as economically sophisticated as Mongolia, having been to both I'd say that was roughly about right.

Greece was doing OK while Europe and the US were top dogs, but now that India and China (as well as a whole bunch of other countries) are at least as economically sophisticated as the Greeks (and many of them, like China, are in a totally different league) then they are going to have problems as many Greeks are vastly overpaid.

And these days "some African countries" are pretty rich...

At the end of the day though if Greek people are really starving we could give them food rations.

5. Moderator emeritus

What? People are starving and yet the bankers must be paid, and you're advocating food rations? If people can't even afford to eat, how are they expected to pay bills, buy clothes, pay rent, have medicine. How can you build an economy by destroying it? No wonder Golden Dawn are making headway.

Just let Greece leave the euro and then default. It worked for Iceland. Let the creditors take a haircut on their house of cards.

6. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Personally I think they should declare bankruptcy and tell the bankers to go and **** themselves - that still doesn't mean that their economy will become more competitive.

I don't think they should destroy their economy - they can look east for how to reform their economy. Perhaps doing what the Turks have done would work for them - but I'm sure India, China and South East Asia will have lessons too.

----------

Agreed.

7. Moderator emeritus

As long as they're part of the EU, they'll be trading under any joint trade agreements. They can't organise things as they wish. They should have never been permitted to join the Euro in the first place... and they only did it by cheating with the help of Goldman Sachs.

But this isn't the fault of the Greek people, it's the fault of their elites... none of who will be starving. No good can come from this.

8. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

This is the solution for Greece, Cyprus, Italy, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal and Ireland. Leave, default, devalue, rebuild. While they remain in the euro they remain slaves of the bankers.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I imagine it will be the US's path as well.

10. Guest

eric/

Doubtful. US doesn't really have a debt problem, and it's in a much more unique position in the world.

11. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Of course it doesn't.

What was I thinking?

I must have been feverish.

:eek: <-- signs of fever.

12. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who is going to benefit in Greece, the starving children or the tax avoiders?

13. Guest

eric/

See a big number and get scared I guess? Unlike the countries already made here in this thread, the US is a big time manufacturer, and has a diverse economy.

14. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Are you a time traveller from the 1960's?

That would explain it.

That and the haircut.

15. macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

16. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Guess what...there are kids starving everywhere...

I fail to see how kids in Greece starving is any worse than kids in Brooklyn or Kentucky.

17. macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I agree with this... compared to the 1970s and 1980s... Poverty and hunger amongst children has risen in the USA and it continues to climb.. even in Europe as well.. Its terrible to see children go through life like this. I always give to organizations to help fight hunger.. The goal is to provide meals to every child in the world..

No child is left behind.. but yet our governments don't care.. all they care about is shutting down humanitarian organizations for bailing out corporations. This disgusts me very much.

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So it is capitalisms fault that the Asians all achieve more for less money?

19. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given how rich the US is it is pretty outrageous if there are any staving kids in the US.

20. Guest

eric/

Maybe the IMF. Not capitalism.

Capitalism, is responsible for all of the wealth on the planet.

21. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Especially with how many fat ones there are.

22. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

"just let them leave the Euro and all will be sorted" ...... or maybe not ?

Sure Greece would loose all it's foreign debt, but also all the trust it needs to do buissness in europe.

The new Drachme would loose value quicker than you could look, devastating savings and icomes of average people, while merchants would be very reluctant to take it as long as there are still Euros in circulation.

German inflation of 1923 will look mild in comparison.

The real issue in Greece is that they never decided were the wanted to be:
    - wages like in Central Europe (pre crisis)
    - corruption like in the Middle East or Latin America
    - reliability like in Africa (and not the better parts)
    - sill-level/productivity like in Bulgaria

Just look at (as example) how many new/modernized carplants were build in Eastern Europe (some even in East Germany) after the communist breakdown, on the other side I can't remember any talks about building one in Greece (allready a full EU-member at that time).

Greek economy is based on:
    - tourism, problem is they are more expensive and less reliable (random strikes on airports or the ferries) than Turkey or the EU members surrounding Greece. Not having to bother with a foreign currency is one of the few plus here.

- agriculture (olives, cheese etc), again hardly competetiv against it neighbours, changing to a new Drachme and it's to expected inflation won't make thinks easier.

- low-tech production ..... well most of thes had allready moved elsewhere pre crisis (reasons see above).

Austerity is not the solution, it's just that no austerity ain't no option at all, the Greek need to grow a different attidute against people gaming the system (big and small).

23. macrumors 6502a

As in Australia. A few months back our traditionally left, but now centre right Labor Party that has held power for the last 5 years, dumped tens of thousands of single mothers from a pension to unemployment benefits. These families have lost over $100 a week that should have been going to their children's welfare and stomachs. This was done to appease a few greedy rednecks with their own snouts in the middle class welfare trough. Our electoral system effectively hands electoral power to a small vocal disaffected and hateful minority who are bribed through handouts and a bloodletting of the less fortunate.

It looks like we'll have a far right wing psychopath as our next Prime Minister so even more kids will go hungry. One corpulent right wing lobbyist, named Toby Ralph, doing a very poor imitation of Jonathon Swift's satire, has "jokingly" suggested that the poorest 20% of the population be culled to fix our minuscule deficit.

Kill The Poor.

24. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

That mirrors a lot like here in the Netherlands our old Labour party PvDA has morphed into a center right party. Kind of like Blair but without the smile and cool Britannia bit.
    Positions now taken by this party mirror how the traditional right wing party in the Netherlands (VVD) thought 20 years ago.

I foresee a time in the very near future in some on the poorer countries of the EU, a return to hard left politics.

25. macrumors 6502

DUCKofD3ATH

If Greek kids are starving, their parents need to take any grunt-work jobs they can get. More than one each if necessary. The jobs are there, the Greeks just don't want to do them.