State bill proposes Christianity be Missouri’s official religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 6, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. Timepass macrumors 65816

all depends on how they intend to do it.

I know a current system out there that is used in my hometown is they use momemet of silances for where pray would go.

Now I get tick when people attack some one praying at school, like a student praying a meal, or in the hall. Not really doing it publicly because that is also a huge volation of public rights.

Times like this make me glad I am in college where people are not picky about pray not being around and different releigous orginaztion can be quite public and not deal with issues.

Best quote I like is "As long as there are math test there will be pray in school"

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I like it!
    :D

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

And voluntary, at that. What exactly is the problem?

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'm fine with a student taking his own time to pray without bothering anyone else....but a public school should not be allowed to set aside even a second for prayer

6. Timepass macrumors 65816

again it depends on how it is done. A moment of slilince is a common pratices because it does not interfear with anyone rights, It does not force any reliegn on you.
    if you dont believe in a higher order of things it some time for you to collect your thoughs and sort out you feeling on something

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

...Like curse those who made you endure a moment of silence.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This resolution is a political stunt, pure and simple. As it stands today, anyone can pray in a public school. What the Supreme Court has consistently disallowed is official and led prayers in classrooms and at school events. Anyone who is "confused" by this standard isn't paying much attention, or is playing political games.

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Honestly, as an apathetic agnostic (I neither know nor care), I have more of a problem with prayer being banned than I do most anything else.

This country was built on many principles, one of which is freedom of (and from) religion. If Jimbo wants to pray and Johnny doesn't want to hear it, that's fine. They can work out an agreement, between them, to resolve the situation.

We don't need a law banning Jimbo from praying, nor do we need one forcing Johnny to listen.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Though some would like to mislead you into thinking it has, prayer in schools has never been "banned."

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I don't care if someone wants to pray on their own time in school. But notice I said on their own time. I don't think a public school should set aside a time for prayer...even if it's optional. Pray during lunch. Pray between classes. Ask the teacher to go to the bathroom and pray while on the john. Just don't set aside time for it in a public school.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- that document wasn't very clear, but I saw nothing about setting aside time for prayer. It just said voluntary prayer. I'm afraid I'm confused. It seems to me that what the document said is already permitted.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Like I said, it's a political stunt.

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

What's wrong with voluntary prayer?

If a student wants to pray in school, they should be allowed to. It's not hurting others for them to do that.

It's probably automatic for most people to think of this as a Christian thing, but think about many strict Muslims. Prayer at least 3 times a day would be necessary.

If the child needs to pray at school for religions reasons, nothing should restrict that.

When the headlines read "School Forces Prayer," then there'll be something to have a thread about.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- I think we all came to that conclusion after reading the document. Nothing to see here.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nothing. They already are allowed to pray.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

State bill proposes Christianity be Missouri’s official religion

link

assuming this is real, i don't see how, if passed and signed, it would pass judicial muster.

for now, anyway.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

actual wording of the resolution:

Frankly, I don't have a huge problem with this. Or, more accurately, I have bigger problems with other lawmakers' activities.

BTW, The above article you posted zim seems misleading after reading the actual resolution. Whether you chalk that up to someone's bias or lackluster local-level reporting is up to you.

oh, it is also only a resolution, not a bill to become law - so essentially it is a PR stunt.

meh.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for finding the resolution (i'd like to follow up on a link, please) and agree that the article isn't the best piece of journalism.

but i _do_ have a problem w/ the resolution. first, it treads dangerously close to that whole "respecting an establishment of religion" thing, and also, religion aside, i'm very disturbed by this notion of needing to "protect" "majority rights".

the first thing i think of when i hear that phrase is white power.

20. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The "Move yg17 to another state" donation fund is now open!

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. PR stunt or not, this is not the kind of thing lawmakers should be involved with. Scary indeed.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

and the midwest keeps looking more and more like afghanistan circa 2001 (spring)

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Damn, what do people not get about seperation of church and state? Do we want to become like England? I know this is going a little far especially with this, but still it makes me feel as if these religious people want nothing but to impose their views on us. Their own Christian forefathers set it up so that the church does not govern the state, and vise versa.

I would kill myself before having to pay a tax like the VAT (700C, other wise known as The 700 Club tax)...

24. iGary Guest

iGary

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

:( :( :(

It keeps getting worse and worse.

We really need an extremely progressive administration that doesn't fear change, because we need to turn things around.

e