State Dept Warned of Poor Post War Planning in 2003

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 18, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So. It was a horrible oversight when Clinton didn't act on a memo, right? But I'm sure there's an exception for Bush doing the same thing.

Seems he didn't want to rock the boat. The thrill of war was only days away, polls were looking up for those talking tough on terror, and he was looking forward to his next vacation. Why screw that up by admitting our war effort might be undone by poor planning?

If only Bush had done something about it, we might not be in the mess we are now. :(
    Let's hear the Bush apologists make their excuses and show us why IOKIYAR.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There's really no way around the fact that they royally screwed up the early phase of the occupation. Criticism comes from the far-right as well, who in 2003 were bitching about the administration's unwillingness to install Chalabi and the Iraqi National Congress as a ready-made provisional government. (David Frum and Richard Perle, An End to Evil (New York: Random House, 2003), pp.23-40.) Instead, they took a strategy that meant maximum accountability for the US (by relying minimally on Iraqis on the one hand or international institutions on the other) and paradoxically had no solid plan to do a good job. The result? A disaster that's entirely on our shoulders.

The only bright side is that (finally! Jesus, what's taken people so long?) nearly 70% of Americans realize that this adminstration totally, completely, screwed up.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

America as a population is very slow to react to things. This is even more so when you factor in lies and spin from the govt. Lets just face it Bush Sr knew better but Jr didnt listen to daddy nor did he pay attention to the war he managed to dodge ................Vietnam. I should say Bush and Cheney since they both dodged vietnam.