state of mac gaming!

Discussion in 'Games' started by speakerwizard, Nov 10, 2006.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im just thinking aloud here so feel free to input your views, anyone remember the osx tiger sales steve said in his keynote?, i remember he said its the best selling mac os ever, so i'm assuming there is a HELL of a lot of users, anyway, i wanted to know, so i could compare that figure to ps2/xbox etc sales, anyone know them? ive looked just cant find.

i dont know the difference but there has just got to be a good market for games on the mac, if only for the fact that there is so few. so i dont buy it, why are they not getting made? it seems such an oversight.

2. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I recall having read that the PC gaming market is of similar size as the console gaming market. The Mac market is about 5% of the PC market and thus the possible Mac gaming market about 20 times smaller than the possible pc gaming market or console gaming market. Therefore it is not very appealing to most of the games manufacturers.

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes, thats one way of looking at it, but i wanted to compare sales numbers of osx to playstation/1/2 xbox / 360 really, just out of curiosity, or os x to the sales figures of an average ps2 game, out of interest

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but that would be a flawed comparison to begin with. sales of OS X does not mean that it will be used for games. any sale of any console equates to it being used for games.

5. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

well, you have to look at it another way.

Aside from Imac's apple doesnt have any consumer machines which can run games at a good speed. If apple really wants to push the gaming market. they need to add more graphics chips for low and mid range performance and DITCH the intel integrated chips. maybe offer a mid range tower, without video monitor, with an upgradable graphics card area.

Now regarding mac games, i believe that more games are coming soon. the switchover to intel had slowed down releases. many mac programmers had to go back to games and make them universal.

now that you have more sales and stability, i'd like to believe 2007 will bring some great titles, including some Star Wars games.

but lets be clear, mac gaming has seen better days, and worse days. it keeps plodding along. Remember PC gaming has seen better days. The console has hit it pretty hard also.

6. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

On wikipedia sites (I don't know how much theses numbers are to be trusted) the number of ps2 units sold is over 100 million and about 25 million for the xbox. In thisMacRumors article it is stated that the number of Mac sold in the 3rd Quarter of 2006 is about 1.3 million. Multiplying that number by 20 would mean an upper limit of about 26 million of Macs sold in the last five years (very rough extrapolation).

7. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

very interesting, thanks for that, i still think there is potential, and the market just inst tapped as it could be, we need a developer to put money into a mac only (at least at 1st) game and advertise it, (maybe with backing from apple), this would raise both awareness and with any luck interest from young gamers that could buy or pester for a mac based on the game (kinda like the role of the killer app in days gone)

8. Kolind macrumors regular

The difference is that the PS2 and XBOX and other consoles are only meant for gaming, so people who buy one of those will also buy a bunch of games. It's only a fraction of the purchased macs which are meant to be used for gaming as well as "normal mac stuff". Just like most PC's aren't bought with gaming as the primary purpose (even though there is a lot more gaming PC's than macs ;))

9. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

That is one of the differences. Another one it that a five year old PS2 can still run games written for the PS2 today, while a five year old Mac won't run most of todays Mac games.

10. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

both valid points, but who knows how many copies an 'average' games on a ps2 or xbox (i assume much lower) sells. im not talkin gta here, thats obviously gonna be a lot hjigher than average. i cant seem to find these sort of figures anywhere

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Actually, the PS2 has not sold 100 million units, they've shipped 100 million units. There's quite a difference. I'd imagine that with how many Sony had to replace anywhere from a third to half that is the true number sold.

Now, an average game? Probably around 250,000 to 500,000 copies, if not more.

12. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

well, if thats an acurate figrue, i would have thought a mac game would easily make that!

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

This was a few years ago. Mac games sold a lot less than that, too.

14. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im a 3d designer / animator and id seriously consider joining a mac gaming project, preferrably specific.

15. pionata macrumors 6502