State of Mind?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SodaPopMonster, Apr 4, 2005.

1. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Houston, TX
    this has been a thread that I have been wanting to post, but haven't come 'round to it until now..

Just curious, but...When you are reading forums (ex.Macrumors) or chatting on aim, do you think about the actual other person on the other end of the internet? myself, I just read forums, just thinking about the text, and not the person who actually had typed it...

just curious-feel free to tell me if this is confusing/doesn't make sense :D

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    depends on who im talking to, when im in a chat online with my gf, well then yeah im thinking about her, or if its a good friend, if not a good friend well then i probably dont pay too much attention, on the forums here i know that we all have personalities and the regulars i tend to acknowledge them a bit more because i have a persona associated with it.....hopefully we aren't the only crazy ones....
  3. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    I actually associated an identity to the other person I talked to especially if I have seen that person around. I tend to tailor my comments towards the characteristic of that person.
  4. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2004
    Land flowing with Milk and Honey
    Never really thought about it that much.
    I guess after having long discussions with a few members you kind of get a feel for how they think and that seems to influence your discussion with them sometimes.
  5. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Mostly, yeah. I try to think of it as a face to face conversation which is the problem with using only text, hard to convey emotion and sarcasm which is important since I try to be as much of a smartass as I possibly can.
  6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    yeah for real, people miss my sarcasm from time to time in IM, and it really bothers me.
  7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I imagine I know the type of person at the other end, e.g., geek or nontechie, young or old, kid, parent, teacher, businessperson, or whatever, based on what they've said, their member name, or just plain intuition. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, but it always helps me know that I'm talking to a real person. Sometimes I'm totally wrong but I don't think it changes what I'd say by much, so I find it more amusing than anything else.
  8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    When I read MR, I think about those with avatar and try to associate them.
    While IM chatting, sure, I know my chat friends very well, so, I can't get them out of mind...
  9. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    I just pretend everyone is a really hot girl. :p

If I'm talking to someone on AIM then I think about them as who they are (or who I perceive them to be). It helps if you know the person, at some level, in real life. On forums, I think of people as personalities if they're regulars or if I have had any "lengthy" discussion with them. Based on what I've read from them, etc I'll decided what I think they're like. Sometimes I'll choose my words based on those assumptions, which may or may not be a good thing.
  10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    talking online is soooooo much different, you do get to kinda know the other persons personality after a while, but one thing that also get me besides not being able to easily show sarcasm unless you actually know the person really well offline is that you cant demonstrate body language, for example, sure you can put a happy face for a smile, but there are soooo many different smiles.
  11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    When reading posts on MR, I just associate people based on their avatar.

But sometimes you can get the sense of who is the popular guy/gal (his name starts with an "E"), or that mac game person, or the dad, mom, student, etc...based on their post/replys...

Recently you can tell who is religious, who is gay, those who enjoy 24 season 4, those who like Keira, those who enjoy walking, etc since those have more than 4 pages of posts!!! :rolleyes: