State of the Union 2004

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rower_CPU, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We all know it's going to come up here and there throughout threads, but I figured it'd be good for people to try to consolidate actual discussion of it to one central location.

So discuss, but, as always, keep it clean. :)

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Occurances of certain words:

"Terror" or "Terrorist" - 20

"Iraq" or "Iraqi" - 24

"War" - 12

"Kill" "killer" "killing" - 11

"Drug" "drugs" (not Rx) - 8

"Afghan" "Afghanistan" - 5

"nuclear' (weapon) - 4

"freedom" - 8

"mass destrction" - 3

"troops" - 5

"Peace" - 5

"Safe" - 3

"crime" (domestic) - 1

"victory" - 1

"Love" (noun) - 1

"love" (verb) - 1

"gun" - 0

"Saddam" - 3

"Osama" - 0
    Interesting where the vocab. focus is and is not.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

WTF is with his steroid thing? I guess it's just an easy target, nevermind the fact that most leagues use regular testing.

The NFLPA already issued a "WTF are you talking about, you ignorant dip****?" statement.

4. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Replies

I'm sorry, the Democrats use to have speechwriters that came up with "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself" and "Ask not whay your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

Instead we get Nanci Pelosi looking like Joan Rivers and talking like a robot.

Obviously what they read was written over the last few days and weeks, so it was not a direct response to the SOTU, but it was so anemic.

President Bush will focus on terrorism and Hussein for the campaign, but poll after poll shows Americans are more concerned with the staggering loss of jobs, with corporate tax breaks, with Enron type scandals, etc. Pelosi and Daschle need to focus on the issues that concern the majority of the US and less on canned replies.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Replies

Lol so true about the joan rivers thing.. bush is going to hammer home saddam is gone,we are chasing terrorists,and that those ceo's and big business loves him. he isnt going to talk jobs because he is exporting them and importing cheap labor, he isnt going to talk healthcare since he is looking out for those HMO's and those Ceo's who profit off the ill and sick, and he wont talk about the economy which he has blown. this guy is spending like there is no tomorrow. he didnt even mention the space program.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I can't believe the anemic quality of the response from Pelosi and Daschel, but then again I thought the same thing when Trent Lott gave the rebuttal before. It's much more difficult to give a rousing speech to a camera, and much easier to give it to a cheering crowd.

My favorite part was the convoluted 'dozens of weapons-of-mass-destruction-related-program activities' line. Such a far cry from the lines he was giving a year ago.

7. g5man macrumors newbie

You forgot one important word. " Economy" it was repeated 14 times.

I thought the speech gave us a small but important glimpse into the campaign style he will utilize. He is known to be a very good campaigner and the effective way he answered some of his critics is something his opponent should note. On the issues of Iraq, Patriot Act, and the economy he shot a few shots across their bow that were rather persuasive to the typical electorate. Once we add good old campaign speeches and commercials the message will become even more effective.

Not once did he mention the words “democrat” and “republican” as far as I can remember nor did he directly attack the opposition. On the other side the democrats mentioned themselves more times than I can count and constantly attacked him. His style is one that appeals to the broad base while the Democratic style is geared only to the Bush haters. And we all know how effective that message was in Iowa for Dean.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nice work! Did you do this tabulation yourself?

I'm waiting for one of the pundits to tally the dollar value of Bush's spending proposals.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Re: Replies

So true. I don't expect much from these "response" remarks (they're always pretty lame), but I kept expecting Pelosi to growl and snap at me.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

was anyone keeping an eye on the armed services kids? i was continually amazed at how unenergetic (sometimes despondent?) their clapping was.

i wonder how those individuals are picked. you'd think a qualification would have to be a die-hard bush fan.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

speech was hollow, sounded good but where are those WMD's or was it dreams of having WMDs so we bombed them, where is that great economy? healthcare my god its a mess and getting worse unless you are a HMO pr Pharmaceutical company. this President is hanging out with those suites instead of the grass root american. he is out of touch with the American. listening to him you would think he won by a landslide when in fact he had less of the popular vote. He has helped the Corporations and is screwing the regular joe. Im a regular joe.

12. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I guess it's getting hard to find anymore bush fans left in the military.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i admit i would be stunned if the democratic candidate won the (active) military vote.

THEN we'd see some late/problematic ballots disqualified.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sending them to war and then wanting to cut the pay? wtf, i love the overtime crap they are trying to push. this administration is socking the American unless that american is steve jobs then in that case he is looking out for you.

15. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

From Slacktivist:

March 2003: Weapons of mass destruction.
    June 2003: Weapons of mass destruction programs.
    October 2003: Weapons of mass destruction-related programs.
    January 2004: Weapons of mass destruction-related program activities.

I've mentioned this before, but this reminds me of the Cheetoh-factor, in which every additional adjective makes the noun in question less true:

"Cheese" = cheese
    "processed cheese" = cheese, sort of
    "processed cheese food" = cheese, sort of, plus other stuff that's not cheese
    "processed cheese food snack product" = the food in question is orange, but contains no actual cheese.

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2004/01/cheetohs_of_mas.html

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

LOL very funny but true, end up with nothing but fiction.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

next: Weapons of mass destruction-related program activity allegations

(up is down, black is white)

18. wwworry macrumors regular

maybe it's because they realized they are fighting for fake Turkey.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then: weaponized mass cheese food product destruction programs

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

give me a weapon and that's me :)

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought it was weapons of mass destruction-related program activity aspirations?

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, from the official transcript.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are we confused yet?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-na-cheney23jan23,1,1979048.story

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You probably don't need any homework assignments, but how about comparing this word frequency to the 2003 SotU address?