State of the Union (Abridged Version)...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jan 31, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Terror.......blah blah blah blah...Terror....blah blah blah blah...strip you of your rights....blah blah blah....Terror.....blah blah blah blah....Theocracy...blah blah blah....Alternative Energy Halliburton...blah blah blah...God Bless Amnerica.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It's always the same aint it.....don't forget "those that don't like freedom" speech

Bless

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I believe more than ever that impeachment may be the only way to teach these guys a lesson. Even if he's not removed, it might be a wake-up for these fools.

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

5. belvdr macrumors 601

If you impeach Bush, then you're opening the door to impeach any president that someone doesn't agree with. That said, something has to be done.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh really? That might not be a bad thing. Oh, forget the fact that this man has no respect the Constitution. Oh but wait, he's a Christian (allegedly), so anything he does is OK. :rolleyes:

7. belvdr macrumors 601

So you're for impeaching any president who any person has a problem with?

I just said something has to be done, so I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing.

EDIT: And why did you bring Christianity into this?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not about agreement, it's about serving indictments for high crimes (et. al.). assuming the House acts responsibly, then it should never be an issue.

if the House does act irresponsibly, the impeachment is nothing more than a censure if the senate either forgoes a trial or doesn't vote to remove. so there are checks and balances.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I brought Christianity into it because that seems to be why the remaining 40% who support him say that's why they support him. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been reading. And you know what? I really do wish we could recall an election, like Canada can. Anyone who does this poor a job deserves to be fired, regardless of his/her contract.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Well, assuming any group of politicians acts responsibly can be a daunting task. I think they are all out to make sure they each have jobs.

11. belvdr macrumors 601

I understand your comment now. Look closely at my post above:

I'm not supporting him. ;)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then we should be able to hold them accountable. And it looks like the old ways aren't working.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know, but what's wrong with a bit of sparring between friends? :)

14. belvdr macrumors 601

Good point. :) En guarde!

(I have no idea if I spelled that correctly, but I'm sure I'll go down in flames if I didn't. Everyone, grab your marshmallows! The roast is on me!)

15. belvdr macrumors 601

I agree totally. However, trying to hold the entire government accountable is going to take some work, and I have no idea where to even start.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And that, my friend, is what is so frightening.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i understand what you're saying, but if all that's true, what difference does it make if bush is or isn't impeached? one on hand, you're saying it will be a watershed event in how DC is run, on the other hand, you're implying that it'll be business as usual.

18. belvdr macrumors 601

Actually, what I was referring to was ousting any political leader just because someone disagrees. You'd have a revolving door in DC if that were the case.

Actually, I'm off to get some sleep. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and trying to restructure the government as well. Maybe I am the best candidate for that. It couldn't be any worse. :)

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I think that's a very narrow view as to why people voted for Bush. Two reasons may be that my party doesn't have a solid agenda and fails to connect with middle America. We controlled the House for 50 years, we had an agenda, we were a populist party. It seems that since we lost the House, we've failed to regroup. We can't expect to cater to urban citizens and ignore the rest.

From Take It Back
    "Liberal Democrats are right that too many establishment Democrats kowtow to corporate interests and shamefully supported Bush's rush to war. And moderate Democrats are right to complain that too many Democrats are out-of-step with middle-class values, too removed from people of faith, too enthralled with intellectual and cultural elites."

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! You could be right. ;)

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...well do you really think people were voting AGAINST Democrats? You could be right, but I think it's a mistake when you look at what Republicans are doing. I don't think they'd be getting away with it if they didn't hide behind God. Are you suggesting that Democrats do the same? Are you saying Democrats should dumb themselves down?

22. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

No, they're not voting against them, but they're certainly not voting for them. Many of my friends tell me that they would vote Republican if it weren't for the Christian Right. I think the reason that people are voting Republican and not Democrat is because we have no solid agenda. We seem to be a reactionary party as of late; i.e. reacting to the Republican controlled Administration, reacting to policies set by the Republian controlled Congress, and reacting to polls. We need to be proactive. Why the hell did we let the GOP reveal a plan on lobbying reform before we did? That should have been our golden nugget and we dropped the ball.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

He didn't.

Bush brought it into this. He dragged religion into the one place it really doesn't belong. Government.

Now I'm no fan of our government down here but I am so glad we have a predominantly secular government - although the appearance of politicians at massive god-squad rallies like that Hillsong thing was a worrying trend.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, so what are your suggestions other than lobbying reform?

25. belvdr macrumors 601

I don't think you can lay the blame solely on Bush. If you look at our money and our Pledge of Allegiance, they both have God written in/on them. This happened way before Bush was even a twinkle in his mother's eye.